Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:18 am

No, Liz, PLEASE do not give him eggs! They are slow poison to an old bird and they won't fatten him up (they are nothing but protein, fat and bad cholesterol). You need simple carbs to fatten them.

Sheesh! No water pump is terrible! When I lived in Pa, we also had a well (house was on Jonas Mountain which means bedrock which, in turn, means no pipes underground so no city water and no natural gas) and the pump broke once plus, another time, we had no electricity -which also means no water because the pumps are electrical... I don't even want to remember the huge amount of work that meant! Hope you solve the problem soon!

My zons always like to chew so I give them boxes all year round but the hen only stays inside the boxes during breeding season - the rest of the year, they just chew it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:22 am

Andy is doing a little better every day. I just can't wait to give him back to Jackie. She is not her old perky self without him. Remember that she chased him until he caught her.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:59 am

That's real good news, Liz! What did the vet say?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:21 am

He is opening his eye on his own now and may not be blind. He is trying to look at me with that eye. I sure hope he will be okay. With just one eye he was running circles to see everything.

Rainbow is sleeping under his step stool again. She loves that stool and gets upset when I step on it.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:12 am

It's rare that infections actually blind the eye. I am not saying it cannot happen, what I am saying is that I've seen eyes that even the vets say are lost and, once the infection disappears, the eye is almost normal and perfectly functional.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:12 am

Your post gives me hope.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:09 am

If you had seen the infection Pipi (short for Pipistrella, a female cat) had when I first found her, you would not believe that her eye could be saved! I am talking HUGE swelling with pus coming out from under the lids and running down her face - and she was such a little thing (maybe two weeks old). I cleaned her out and rushed her to the vet who gave me medicine but told me that she was going to lose that eye and that, most likely, it would have to be taken out. It took days of cleaning it three times a day and putting medicine in it (but not drops, I don't like drops because they don't 'stay' in the eye, I always ask for antibiotic ointment instead -works much better with animals) plus giving her oral antibiotics before the swelling began to go down and, if you look at her face now and pay attention, you can see that her left eye is a teeny tiny bit smaller because the upper lid falls a little lower on the outer corner than the one on her right eye does but the eye is clear and she can see perfectly well out of it - so don't lose hope because birds, like cats, are actually quite resilient!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:45 am

Thank you. I am still giving antibiotics and eye drops.

The cockatiels as a group don't really like any veg except celery. Little Andy likes his mixed vegetables (peas, corn, carrots and green beans)
I hope when he is put back he will teach the others.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:57 am

I don't know why your tiels don't like other greens or veggies... mine used to eat all the veggies except the green beans (which I hardly ever add to the gloop anymore) and loved all leafy greens: lettuce, escarole, chicory, broccoli, Swiss chard, etc. Maybe you need to put the greens out first, wait a bit and then give them gloop (if you just soak seed, they will go for that first and not try the veggies but they might if you cook the grains and make a gloop, instead).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:56 am

Sweetie, my adventurous cockatiel RIP, was the adventurouse one teaching the others what was good to eat. She tried everything I gave them and they followed her. I hope Andy will be able to teach the Tiels what is good food. They do eat the corn and peas out of the frozen mixed veg that I give them. Andy eats it all.

I can't wait until I can give him back to Jackie. They were inseperable. Jackie no longer comes close to me to tweet like she used too.
Phoenix is the only one still coming to me to hold conversations.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care