Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:51 am

Isn't it amazing how they learn what a phrase means so quickly?! Davy Redbelly has the terrible habit [he has A LOT of bad habits, his latest was chewing off the control thingies on the toaster] of going into the finches cage to steal the seeds that I scatter at the bottom [poor Yaga is severely handicapped and cannot perch well enough to eat from a bowl] something he KNOWS it's not allowed so, he has learned that when I say: "DAVY! You naughty bird!" the stick for him to perch on to take him out is going to follow almost immediately so even before I finish saying it, he is already standing at the door waiting for me to put the stick for him to come out :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:47 am

:lol: What did I ever do without my birds.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:25 am

I tell you, Liz, as far as I am concerned, no matter what is going on with my life, I can always coung on my birds to make me happy.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:53 am

Me too. Life was really boring and depressing without them.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:00 am

My cockatiels are so happy that they make me happy.

Phoenix is still the first one to go to the feeding tray. He gets there even before the food is down. I have been able to touch his beak while he is eating by pushing food under his beak for him. Gimpy is then the next one to land right in the middle of the tray. I cannot touch him but he has started tweeting to me when I talk to him nose to beak.

I love them so much.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:10 am

Yes, cockatiels in flock are super adorable and so very easy to love... It's a shame that people keep them as single pets.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:12 am

I feed my cockatiels on big trays on the floor. It is normal for them to eat on the ground so they enjoy it. Gimpy seems to enjoy it the most since all he has to do is land in the middle. I have shallow water bowls too. I have had to come up with ideas to keep Gimpy and Phoenix equal to the others. Phoenix cannot fly and Gimpy cannot stand.

I have platforms near perches for Gimpy and ladders for Phoenix.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:26 am

Yes, one has to become creative with handicapped animals...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:01 am

There are doors all over the cage they have. I opened another one and put a ladder to it. Sometimes he can't make a bird move so he can get to the ladder.

My birds always have food. They are never without. Even so, Phoenix gets excited when the new food is down. Yesterday he did not bother to turn around and come down the ladder backwards. He came down head first. I don't think he will do that again. My little handicapped Phoenix is such a joy.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:58 am

Yes, one does get more attached to the ones that have 'difficulties', right? I think it's the maternal instinct that takes over...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care