Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby liz » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:39 am

My two like to chew the boxes from the inside out.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:22 am

Mine do that during breeding season but, at any other time, they just chew them starting at the sides or the corners.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:15 am

There is a couple times that Rambo slept in her foot stool cardboard box.

When I said it was nite nite she ran past me to his box. By morning she is in her cage.

Myrtle sleeps on my shower curtain rod.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:58 am

Doesn't she chew the curtain or the liner? I have to keep my bathrooms doors closed or they chew them up - especially Isis, she loves to chew the plastic liner!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:39 am

So far so good.

She has put holes in the plastic curtain but that is because she is holding on to it so I can spray her while I am in the shower.

Plastic liners are cheap. I keep an extra for when she has done enough to the shower.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:24 am

Oh, it's not the cost of the liner that worries me, it's the fact that they are plastic and I don't like them to chew on plastic just in case they end up ingesting it. They found a little baby turtle that had died because it had more than 20 pieces of plastic in her belly, the poor thing!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:40 am

I have the Chicken Syndrome. When it starts getting dark outside it is time to roost. I have been in my pajamas as early as 6:30.

The Cockatiels have no problem. They eat their supper then go to perch.

Myrtle is like me and when it gets dark she finds her place to sleep.

Rambo is another problem all together. She is like a 5 year old who is not done playing. I can tell her "nite nite" and put her in bed then hear her up playing. I put her back a couple more times then give her a talken to. Last night when I walked away and turned out the lights she yelled "Raddel Raddel". She was calling my daughter, Rachel, to come help her so she could stay up.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:46 am

:lol: Smart girl! I have to admit that I am always surprised when people say their birds want to stay up after it gets dark... I've never had a single problem with any of mine. Once they eat their dinner, they immediately go to their roosting perch and get ready to go to sleep. By the time is night and I draw the blinds, cover the cages or whatever, they are all half-asleep (and i say 'half' because some of them respond to me when I give them the usual: "Nite, nite, sweet dreams, I love you" by either saying "I love you" back or making kissy noises -because I also make kissy noises to them).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:56 am

It is getting dark at 6:30 now. I have the "chicken sindrom" which makes me go to roost at sundown.

The cockatiels are no problem. They eat their supper then find the place they want to roost. It is funny that they do not go back to the same place every night. My chickens did.

I got up at 10 last night and heard noise coming out of Rambo's box. Myrtle was looking at the box. I got down and looked in the box then said "what did I tell you". Rambo came out a headed toward her cage. When I looked at Myrtle she had her eyes closed trying to fake me out.

My house is dark so she is walking around by memory. I use a tiny flash light when I get up after bed time. I thought about moving the trash can to block her path but am afraid she would hurt herself.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:17 am

Yes, I use a flashlight also but only if I have to look for something in the living or dining room - otherwise, I walk around in the dark (I know exactly how many steps there are from any point of the house to any other point - my mild and very useful OCD at work :lol:)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care