Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby liz » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:47 am

The wild birds and squirrels are loving the cockatiel seed.

Update on Phoenix: The boy is trying to fly. He will get about an inch off the floor and fly small circles a few times before landing. I am so amazed. The urge to fly is so great that a mutilated bird is trying.

For those who have not heard it: Don't trim wings. It causes emotional damage as well as physical.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:53 am

That's GREAT, Liz!!!! He might not achieve actual flight but the exercise is fabulous!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:07 am

He is so pleased with himself. He does scatter a lot of seed. His flap time cuts into our tweet time.

Shadow has moved in on the tweet position and will not let anyone but Phoenix tweet with me.
Flutter has been coming to tweet but Shadow does not like it. Shadow was attached to me at one time but went wild in the flock. He has watched Jackie and wants his place back with me.

Tommy comes out of cage to a platform to tweet with me and give me kisses.

Jackie gives me body slam kisses from the top of the cage. Andy watches and wants to do it too but has only gotten close short of getting kisses.

Flutter, who used to be my wild child, has lost two mates now. I am short by two females in my flock so he has been tweeting to me when I go in. He gets on top of cage and comes to the edge to tweet to me. He was the terror of the flock. He used to fly around and knock the others off their perches for fun. I am amazed that the Wild Child wants to make contact.

I have been searching for rehomes or rescue females but am only finding males. I will keep searching.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:55 am

There are lots of female tiels for adoption around here - I just got an email from rescueme New York City with two tiels, a male and a female - but they are brother and sister and not mate-bonded so they were actually offered separately. The female was a very pretty cinammon pearl... shame that you live so far away because, if you didn't, I would be willing to drive half-way to meet you.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:26 am

The only thing RescueMe has to offer in Florida and Georgia are male cockatiels. They send me alerts and I always check them. I am even willing to drive to Georgia for little girls who need me. I drove to Myrtle Beach SC to get Myrtle when she was offered up. I got her the next day that she was offered. I was so afraid a breeder would get her.

It turned out that I was the best thing for her. She is beyond happy and believes she is #1 in my life. Like my kids, I love them all a bunch and equally.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:21 am

Look in CL, Liz. There are always more birds there than in Rescueme.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:49 am

So far on CL they only have males or pairs. I was really tempted to take in a pair but will check back on it in a week. Only males are offered at this time. I am also checking S Georgia. I don't mind doing day trips to help the little birds.

Flutter was the only one on top of cage last evening. He was making runs on me and getting within kissing distance but would back off short of a kiss. I am amazed that my flutter bird is doing this. I thought he would always be the "wild child" in my flock.

Phoenix continues to hover and scatter seed all over the room. He is determind to get flight.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:11 am

You need to check CL every single day because birds go fast in it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:35 am

okay
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:03 am

I have changed the light schedule on the cockatiels to 10 am and 4 pm to give them time to eat in dawn and dusk I feed them at breakfast at 9 am. Their supper is between 4 and 5 but usually 4.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care