Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:32 am

Yes, I bet they are mighty curious of the new guys :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:53 am

The flock is trying to call them in. It happens every time I have a new one.

This is probably how wild flocks build up. A new escape will make a noise and the flock will respond and call it in.
This is my hope for Max. He is the one that some how escaped the night I moved my little flock in the new house. I still don't know how he did it.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:47 am

Yep, it's called 'flock calls'... they reply when they hear another of their own species.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:16 am

I came home from a doctors appointment yesterday to find little bits of squishy stuff all over my kitchen floor. Myrtle found the potatoes that I did not put away. She carried one to her perch so the bits would reach all over the kitchen floor. At least it wasn't onions this time. I had mashed potatoes for supper last night.

Rambo likes to go through my grocery bags when I get home. I have learned what he is looking for and make sure it is at the edge where he can find it easily. He gets a little cucumber and peels it before he eats it. At least he is on the floor and stands right there while he eats.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:27 am

Make sure the cucumbers are organic because they are one of the worst veggies when it comes to bad chemicals. My birds don't get them often at all because the organic ones are expensive if one takes into consideration the little nutrition they offer. And, in truth, there are other things they like much better... like sugar snaps - they all LOVE them!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:44 pm

Rambo likes to eat the bean out of over ripe green beans.

I named my 2 new rescues Twila and Leroy. I have a cousin named Twila but don't know how I came up with Leroy. They are so much alike that it took me a while to find a difference. Twila has a little spot of yellow on the back of her neck.

They won't eat anything but seed. I am hoping the others will teach them.
I used to have a Sweetie who was adventurous. If she tried something new and liked it they all ate it. I thought Andy would teach the others to eat carrots but as soon as he returned to them he quit eating carrots.

My little flocks favorites are peas, corn and green celery. I get the darkest green I can find of celery to at least give them some vitamin A. They don't play with toys but move that celery stalk all over the room.
They don't seem to like fruit. I serve the Amazons 5 kinds of fruit and veg each day. I cut it to the size that they can pick it up and eat it. I use the same veggies and chop them fine for the Cockatiels every day in hopes tha Then t they will try it but none have yet.

I have started cutting fruit and veg in bite size pieces for me. This gives me a variety that I would never eat otherwise. I get equivalent of 3 cups of fruit and veg which makes 6 servings that I would not otherwise eat.

My morning: let Amazons pick their own pistachio - warm and serve cooked grain, veggies and pasta that I have in packets to the Cockatiels and Myrtle - feed Jake the boxer his cans of food with a goody on top which could be leftover meat or beans from last nights supper - I split a can of dog food between 5 little house dogs - then I go back and chop up fruit and veg for the birdies and bunny.

I keep it in the same order every day so I don't forget anything. All the while drinking my coffee. I am the last to get breakfast. Mine can consist of cereal, leftovers or just toast.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:05 am

:lol: I am the same! I only sit down after all my animals have eaten, dogs gone out and got clean diapers on, cats got all clean beds and litter boxes, dogs got clean beds and birds clean cages and are all eating their breakfast - then and only then I sit down to breakfast. Babies need to come before parents - right?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:08 pm

You get to sit down?

I eat over the sink.

Babies always come first. On a good morning I can eat a pack of crackers with my coffee before they wake up. My coffee pot is in the bedroom. Sometimes I wake up at 4:00.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:47 am

Yes, I sit down. I am sitting down right now and have just finished my breakfast (I eat it while I 'do' the computer stuff). The birds have had their breakfast and are now flying all over the place - but two of them are on me right now, Codee GCC is on my left shoulder and Zoey Senegal is on my right one while Keku Quaker is perching on the top of the screen, Epuish Caique is perching on the rod of the café curtains on the kitchen window (to my left), right next to Annie GCC (who has become fast friends with Epuish) and Javi Caique is finishing his 'cloth bath' on the counter next to the sink so I will get up now and give him a dry kitchen towel so he can dry himself on it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:39 am

My siting time is on the computer.
I eat on the run unless someone is eating with me
I didn't write down the date of when I got Twila and Leroy. It seems like a long time. I put there cage in the bird room with the door open. One came out right away but the other stayed in. I don't know which one since there is only a little yellow patch on on Twila's neck. Last evening I saw them perched together in the big cage that the birds sleep in.

Twila, Leroy and Louise are the only ones I know that are two years old. I think Shadow and Tammy are about 18 years old. The others were rescues and most came from people who did not know there age or names. I hope to out live most of the cockatiels but I doubt that I out live Twila, Leroy and Louise.

My 70th birthday is this month. Though I can still care for them and give them the attention that they need I would like to rehome Shadow & Tammy and Louise & Flutter and Twila & Leroy but they are not touchables. Most people want hand raised babies.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care