Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby liz » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:29 pm

I have a little flashlight the size of a cigaret that I keep in my purse and use to walk in bird rooms. I shine it to the floor to make sure their is nothing there for me to fall on. I fall so well you know. I think a fall in the bird room would be worse than a tiny light.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:18 am

Indeed it would!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:06 pm

Rachel always buys too much at the produce market then brings it in to the center of the kitchen and leaves it. I was busy doing something else so Rambo did her shopping. She found a little cucumber, peeled it half way and ate it. I'll check back to see if she ate more or left the mess as it was for me.

She looks so cute shopping. Inside each bag checking things out until she finds what she wants.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:23 am

Rambo was in her making noise. "I told her it was "nite nite" time. She ignored me. Then I asked "you gotta problem". She said "huh uh".
That is the first time I heard that one. She is even picking up on slag.

I was petting Jasmine (dog) when Myrtle landed on my shoulder. She leaned forward and told Jasmine "pretty girl".
Myrtle would say "tickle tickle" when she wanted me to tickle her feet. Now she is saying "tickle this pretty girl".

Andy's eye sealed closed and now I see that it is dented in. It does not bother him except for when he wants to fly. I think he is about ready to stop trying. His eye place is clean and not bloody so he has given up trying to open it.

Jackie was Andy's mate until I took him from the flock to care for his eye. She does not claim him now. He follows her around and she just keeps moving instead of treating him as a friend.

Tammy has some tail feathers missing. I think Shadow pulled them out. I used to have a pair that the male was a wife beater. When she would go near him he would rip out some feathers. I hope this is not the case with Tammy and Shadow.

Impy and Phoenix are doing good.

Flutter has had 3 mates who died. He is now spending time with Louis. She is the one born here. She never joined the flock. She just stayed on the edge. Flutter is pulling her in.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:06 am

Jackie might take Andy back once they are in breeding condition and, as to his eye, that is the way it happens: the eye becomes atrophied and it kind of sinks into the skull. Sounds like everything is going well, Liz.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:57 am

My cockatiels breeding season always started in December. Years ago we had a hatch on Christmas eve from Tommy and Tammy.
They have not started this year. Maybe they will forget about it.

I have three pairs: Tommy and Shadow, Andy and Jackie, Flutter and Louise. Phoenix and Impy do not have mates. Tommy and Shadow are getting old. I don't know how old the others are since they were rescues with most not even having names because they were moved around so much before I got them.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:18 am

Well, I don't think that animals 'forget' about breeding... In the case of birds, they either produce sexual hormones or they don't so, if they are not in breeding condition now, everything is as it should be.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:22 am

I was contacted by RescueMe about a pair of cockatiels that needed a new home fast. The owner was moving to Canada and could not take her birds.

I now have 10 cockatiels. Two more don't take up much space. I am more concerned that they are only 2 years old.

They are half tame and can be handled but they don't like it. They will disapear into the flock.

They and the other Tiels have been calling back and forth since they came through the door.

The previous owners had them for 2 years but never named them.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:44 am

Imagine that! Only two years old and they are already changing hands, the poor things! I am seeing this more and more - the rehoming of birds that are either not quite yet adults or barely just made it. Goes to show how most people think of birds as having no feelings...

But I am glad for you, Liz - and for them! They will be VERY happy in your little flock! Congrats congrats congrats - and let us know their genders and their new names.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:52 am

I was told they were male and female. I know that at least one is male by his songs. I still don't know about the other.

The woman had them for two years. She got them as babies. She never named them.

We are looking for gender neutral names. Rachel has come up with them. One is Kelly but I don't remember the other name.

I have not tried to touch them. I am still at the face to face talking stage. They are not cage protective and I can put my hand in, palm down, to change food and water. I don't know if they need palm down but I am starting with that anyway.

They are not upset about so many critters around them. (When I got Rambo she jumped right in to the kaos and loved it.) I have them on the far side of the living room from the cockatiel door. A few of the flock have hung on the door to look at them.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care