Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rambo &Myrtle update

Postby ljeanne » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:06 pm

yeah, the vaccuum running instantly gets romeo throwing water around. i spray over my shoulder so they don't see the bottle and with my back to them, though sometimes i spray myself in the eye. lol i always spray them in the cage too. :gray: :amazon: :corella:
ljeanne
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: timneh grey, senegal parrot, and budgies
congo grey and blue front amazon, ducorps cockatoo, and princess of whales parakeet
Flight: No

Postby Stephoklein » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:52 am

Hey Liz I'm a newby to the forum and know very little in comparison, I'm shy to say much. But I have been having a similar issue with my odie. I put the vaccum on prior because I read it reminds birds of heavy rains in the rainforest (not sure how much truth there is to that). Then I lightly mist him a few times and wait till he calms down and give him a treat then lightly mist him again and treat. He still doesn't seem to enjoy it, but he doesn't squirm and run as much.
:sun: - Maxine
:eclectus: - Odie
Stephoklein
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Eclectus and Sun Conure
Flight: No

Postby liz » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:16 am

Excellent ideas.
I will turn on the vacume. My cages don't have doors but I have a little one that I can block the exit. I will do Rambo first since he enjoys it and let her watch.
Thank you all.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:27 am

I was not home and did not get to see it but my mother said she watched Rambo fly. The dogs were barking and scared the birds. Myrtle took off with Rambo right behind her all the way from the living room to the sunroom. I am so happy for him. I hope he keeps trying.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Polarn » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:01 pm

Im happy non of my fellas has disliked the spaybottle however ive never bothered to hide it, polarn will fly to it and start pulling and dragging when he wants to be sprayed and the bathingtimes has been working wonders for the bonding (atleast it seems that way to me) meaning their so exited about the shower they dont really notice you being close and when they notice they still seem to not care since the shower is so nice, and now when I can always get close and up personal with them, as soon as i grab the bottle they will start dancing about and sing or if not caged fly right to where i am to get sprayed. Anyways hope you the best of luck getting them to enjoy showering since is quite healthy for them.
Polarn
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw

Postby liz » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:30 am

I tried to put Myrtle in a small cage but she is still scared of confinement. I waited until she got on a low branch of her tree and started with her feet. She got misted all over but not really wet. I will continue until I am able to soak her.
Rambo watched and complained that he was not in on it but he was too high in the tree to reach. I don't worry about him. He likes to get in the water running off the shower curtain.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby GreenWing » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:06 pm

Liz, your "kids" are a hoot! I love reading about them. 'Hope they're doing well.
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby liz » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:44 am

You know it just hit me this morning when I read your post. There are times when I get mixed up on names and sometimes call my daughter Myrtle. My kids are 40 and 41 with Chuck being 18 months older.

Though my son is bi-polar he has always been the stable one. The one I could count on to keep me balanced. If something took too much consentration for me to acomplish I gave the task to him even when he was very young. When they were pre teen, Chuck nick named Rachel "butterfly". They are still like that today.

It seems that my green kids have turned out the same way. I hope Myrtle grows out of this.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:18 am

Yesterday, while on the couch drinking my first coffee, I thought I saw green go in the bathroom. I said "Rambo are you up?" He walked backwards out of the bathroom to look at me. I said "you know you are not aloud in there". He sat looking at me for a while and when he thought I wasn't paying attention he went back in. I said "Rambo get out of there". He backed up again and sat there. Then I told him "go wake Rachel up". He turned and went straight to her room. He could not wake her up but fell asleep sitting on her hip waiting for her.

One time I woke up about 6 am and thought I would enjoy the quiet before my mother and aunt got up. I saw Rambo walk down the hall. He stood between their two rooms yelling "are you up? are you up? wake up wake up". He turned his head back and forth between the two rooms to direct his voice. He had them awake before I could get to him.

This morning Myrtle flew to my mom's room and I heard her say "are you up?" She is a fast learner.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby GreenWing » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:39 pm

:lol: Liz, you need to write a book about this stuff, you can't can't make this stuff up! :lol: :danicing:

liz wrote:Yesterday, while on the couch drinking my first coffee, I thought I saw green go in the bathroom. I said "Rambo are you up?" He walked backwards out of the bathroom to look at me. I said "you know you are not aloud in there". He sat looking at me for a while and when he thought I wasn't paying attention he went back in. I said "Rambo get out of there". He backed up again and sat there. Then I told him "go wake Rachel up". He turned and went straight to her room. He could not wake her up but fell asleep sitting on her hip waiting for her.

One time I woke up about 6 am and thought I would enjoy the quiet before my mother and aunt got up. I saw Rambo walk down the hall. He stood between their two rooms yelling "are you up? are you up? wake up wake up". He turned his head back and forth between the two rooms to direct his voice. He had them awake before I could get to him.

This morning Myrtle flew to my mom's room and I heard her say "are you up?" She is a fast learner.
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care