Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:32 am

Yes, I bet they are mighty curious of the new guys :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:53 am

The flock is trying to call them in. It happens every time I have a new one.

This is probably how wild flocks build up. A new escape will make a noise and the flock will respond and call it in.
This is my hope for Max. He is the one that some how escaped the night I moved my little flock in the new house. I still don't know how he did it.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:47 am

Yep, it's called 'flock calls'... they reply when they hear another of their own species.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds

Postby liz » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:16 am

I came home from a doctors appointment yesterday to find little bits of squishy stuff all over my kitchen floor. Myrtle found the potatoes that I did not put away. She carried one to her perch so the bits would reach all over the kitchen floor. At least it wasn't onions this time. I had mashed potatoes for supper last night.

Rambo likes to go through my grocery bags when I get home. I have learned what he is looking for and make sure it is at the edge where he can find it easily. He gets a little cucumber and peels it before he eats it. At least he is on the floor and stands right there while he eats.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:27 am

Make sure the cucumbers are organic because they are one of the worst veggies when it comes to bad chemicals. My birds don't get them often at all because the organic ones are expensive if one takes into consideration the little nutrition they offer. And, in truth, there are other things they like much better... like sugar snaps - they all LOVE them!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care