Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby Navre » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:57 am

My grey, Nicholas is scared of me. If he is out on the floor, and I call his name, he runs as fast as he can to his cage.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:37 am

Ohhhh, poor Nicholas, let's hope that he gets over it soon...

I get different responses... I have birds that answer with a call or some kind of vocalization when I call them (like Sophie CAG which makes a clopping noise or Linus that says "Helloooo"); I have two that pop their heads out of wherever they are hiding (Sweetpea Senegal and Naida BFA), I have a couple that fly to me when I call their name and give them the command "Come!" (Sunny Sunconure and Zoey Senegal), I have some that ignore me completely (most of them :lol: ) and then there is Isis which loudly announces "I'm here!" or "I'm right here!" when she flies over to the room where I am and perches in the highest spot she finds (like the top of the door, for example) but which doesn't make a single sound when she is in her 'hiding place' (inside my pocketbook!) or when she is crouching behind a figurine or a vase on the bookshelves and just looks at me while I am running like a chicken without a head and calling her name nonstop in a panicked voice! Ay ay ay...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:45 pm

Pajarita wrote:Ohhhh, poor Nicholas, let's hope that he gets over it soon...

I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow, so we will probably be back to square one.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:52 am

When I catch Rainbow chewing on a bottom cabinet door (he knows better) all I have to do is say "I see you" and he takes off running. His toes turn in so he does a very fast woddle when on the run. I love it.
Myrtle chews on things above me. She knows I can't reach her so she just ignores me. I have thrown stuffed animals at her. She has learned that I have no aim so now she even ignores flying stuffed animals.

I can't wait to get my activity room set up. They are the most of my activity. Then they can only destroy one room. My son already has a screen door covered with cage wire.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby liz » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:00 am

Rainbow is no longer hormonal. She is back to being Rainbow. She is very vocal and back into everything. Myrtle is now hormonal but goes through it quite different. She flies to me first thing in the morning and goes through her dance on my shoulder but nothing for the rest of the day.

I was trying to pay bills yesterday with both of them acting up and doing everything that they are not allowed to do. Since I don't cage them, I had to call Rachel to step in and be with them until my meds could control a panic attack. They were acting up at the same time and it was too much for me.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:02 am

Precie and Zeus, both yellownapes, are no longer hormonal and neither is Mami, a yellowcrown, but Naida bluefront laid an egg two days ago which reminded me I have to do more research on the season and conditions of their wild breeding season. And I hear you on the anxiety attack! Sometimes (not often but it does happen), I have to go to my bedroom on my own (meaning without dogs or cats!), close the door and read or watch TV for an hour or so, or go out and work in my garden just so I can be alone for a little while to 'decompress' from all the animals vying to be ON ME all the time :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:09 am

Both birds were getting into everything. I could not consintrate on the bills since I had to keep running them off from their mischief. I could not just go hide. Those girls were so busy getting into things that I had to call Rachel to be with them while I decomposed.

I have PTSD and MSD so I have five anxiety meds. Then I have one as an emergency back up that I have to take when the others do not fix my emotions. I had to take one of them to get myself under control.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:48 am

Thankfully, I don't need any medicines for depression or anxiety (I use music, books or movies). One of my daughters and one of my sons use them but I can always find my peaceful center on my own and I am, generally, a very upbeat person. I have a wonderful family and friends and a very good life - I am very fortunate!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:28 am

I have found that running a dust mop through the house calms me. How crazy is that?

My little girls, Rainbow and Myrtle are like 2 ad 5 year old kids. When they get into something they know they should not be doing I tell them to get out. They do but then also wait for me to turn my head to do it again. They are pealing the vaneer off my cabinets. Rainbow thought I was too busy to notice her and walked over my feet to get to a cabinet that she thought needed to be updated. Now that is a brat.
He once chewed a hole in the wall the size of a paper plate behind the toilet. I used laminent to cover that wall. It had such a smooth surface that she could not bite it. Here she is also trying to get behind the toilet. I have a thing about closed doors ever since I watch the Twilight Zone episode where a critter was on an airplane wing. It took me a while to figure that out. I have to close the bathroom door or she will go in and destroy things. She walked in backwards one day trying to make me think she was on the way out. An old lady like me is having trouble keeping up with two little kids.
I take down time when all the critters have their nap time between 2 and 4 pm. I actually fell asleep while watching TV and was woke up when Rainbow climbed into my bed and clunked my forehead with her beak.
She has learned how to climb in my bedroom window then sits there saying "huh" until I open it for her to check out the neighborhood.
My living room and dining room are cluttered with boxes that Rachel have not emptied so I eat in my room. I have to put a little plate on the top of my dresser for Myrtle. She begs for her share of food even if it is something she will not eat when given to her. She is now eating cherries with me. Rainbow learned from her that cherries are good and will eat them when I do.

I was using a small brush and dust pan to sweep up the empty shells that float around the Cockatiel room. I was bent over near the play cage with my head close when Jackie decided to preen my hair. The rule is that they can touch me but I can't touch them. It did my heart good to have Jackie preening me. Then I decided to try it on Phoenix. He did the same thing and preened my hair. Tommy got a little upset. He thinks he is the only one who can preen me.
I really love these little beings and am always happy when I am able to spend time with them and they treat me like a perch.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:19 am

:lol: Yes, I've seen mine doing the moonwalk, too! All my birds love cherries -well, that's not really true, the finches don't touch them, but everybirdy else loves them, most especially the parrots! And I hear you on the tiels... they are the sweetest, sweetest things! I wish I could take in some... Lord knows there are hundreds of them offered in CL but I already ended up with little ones that I wasn't planning on so no luck for them -or me!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care