Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby liz » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:47 am

I have been kicking it back and forward in my mind. Phoenix does not have the hand part of his wing. He tries to hover but it only last 2 seconds when he gives up. If I trim his other wing then he would be more balance and able to hover.

Is it merciful to trim the other wing? He has been letting me touch his beak. Would I loose his trust. He knows he is special to me.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:59 am

I would do it, Liz. As a matter of fact, I would have done it already and kept at it all the time -it's what I do to Pablo. It's always traumatic to them to get toweled but it can be done real fast and it is painless. And it's not as if you were actually clipping a flighted bird - he cannot fly now as it is and it will be easier for him to glide if both wings are a bit more even.

With Pablo, I always say his name in a particular way when I am going to do it and he knows what is coming because he jumps down to the bottom of the cage and tries to get away from my hand with the kitchen towel in it but his 'attempt to escape' is more for show than anything else nowadays [it used to be frantic at the beginning though] because he has gone through it many times and knows it's just a momentary inconvenience.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:34 am

Phoenix has been flapping at the bottom of her ramp and to the food tray a few inches away.

I do not towel. If they bite me it is a teaching thing that tells them that biting does not make we back off. I do hold Myrtles beak though. I never do anything like this on my own. I will hold Phoenix and my daughter will do the trimming.

I hope he forgives me and I do not loose his trust.

When I offer the Amazons a bedtime nut, Myrtle will pick her own. Rainbow will turn it down and run to her step stool. She wants to eat it in her new home.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:08 am

I towel because I think that it's less stressful and safer for the bird. I never allow them to bite me - they might do it but not because I put myself in a position to get it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:01 pm

Monday evening Lacy had a lump on her belly. Tuesday I took her to the vet. He said he did not know what it could be because it was full of fluid. He said a biopsy would cause her too much pain and said we should just put her to sleep.

We did but will be looking for another vet in a clinic so I can get a second opinion.

Flutter does not know where she is and is calling her.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Navre » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:05 pm

I'm sorry. I hope everything works out okay.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:08 pm

Oh, geez, I am soooo sorry, Liz! But why didn't the vet try draining the fluid by aspiration first and do a simple cytology? It's not that painful for the bird or that expensive for the owner and, for all anybody knows, it might have given her a few more good years of life...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:25 am

I accepted what the vet said that it would be painful to tap it. I wanted it drained to give her a few more days but he talked me out of it.
This is the same vet who put Daisy down. I should have let her live her last days in the flock like a normal cockatiel. She may have been hurting but she would be happy.
This was Banfield.

Charles is looking for an exotic pet clinic with more than one vet and is 24/7. We may have to pay more but my babies will have a better chance.

That evening when I went to feed, Flutter was not in the flock. He was all alone on a high perch.
This is the second mate that he has lost.

I have been looking for a female to add to my flock to balance the male and female thing. Now I really need to find one. I have been searching CL and http://www.rescueme.com but have only found pairs.
I guess I will post on CL in case someone was considering rehoming.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:19 am

Ahhh, that's why, Liz. Banfield is a wellness clinic, it's not a full service vet clinic - not even for dogs and cats. You need to find a vet that treats exotics [it doesn't have to be a board certified avian vet] in a regular full service clinic because Banfield will never really do any kind of long term treatment... they don't even have a full set of diagnostic tools. When I check vet references for my kittens adoptions, I don't accept Banfield or any other wellness clinic. Mind you, I have nothing against wellness clinics and I use them myself because they are cheaper than my regular vets but only for thinks like testing for FIV/FeL, shots and deworming because they are not really any good for disease, chronic or long term conditions or surgery for that matter [they don't even do dentals and that should be part of 'wellness', if you ask me].
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:12 am

Rainbow and Myrtle are way overdue for checkups. Charles found a clinic for exotics that is 24/7. Just like kids the birds seem to need a vet after hours. It will cost much more per visit but I only take them once a year.

The Banfield vet told me Lacy looked like and old bird by the looks of her feet. Is that a good way to judge age. I have no idea how old my rescues are. The only info I have is on Jackie. She is about 18 now. She came as a rehome for a family of 4 birds. Jackie is the last left of her family.

Jackie, Tommy, Tammy and Shadow are about the same age. Other than Louise, I have no idea how old the others are.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care