Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Ideal Temperature for Parrots

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Ideal Temperature for Parrots

Postby MandyG » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:36 pm

This is a two part question, I'm not referring to drafts or the danger of drafts, just temperatures:

1) What is the ideal indoor temperature for captive parrots? What temperature is too cold for a parrot to be in 24/7?

2) What temperature is too cold for a parrot to be taken outside (unprotected, not in a covered carrier)? I can't imagine taking my parrot outside during the winter months (currently -45 celcius/ -49 fahrenheit :o ). I've seen a few videos of people that take their parrots outside when there is still snow on the ground, I'm sure it's not as cold as -45c but it must still be cold out for the snow to be on the ground! Is the drastic temperature change from indoors to outside in the colder months too much for a parrot? Or am I just being overprotective? ;) What temperature difference is too much to take your parrot outside? Is a difference of 5-10 degrees (celsius) ok? Or how about 20 or 25 degrees?

Below are some of the videos I found with parrots out in the snow. The last one states that it's a very warm January day, about 70F. Maybe all of the videos are taken on unusually warm days? Whether or not it's a warm day, the B & G macaw in the second video is walking on the snow! Is that not way too cold for it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13XmlniLKd4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orRics1YFkw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Sj4Hk1x5g
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon
Flight: Yes

Re: Ideal Temperature for Parrots

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:05 pm

I honestly don't know what's supposed to be their temperature range and I don't know what each kind of bird's range is but my personal motto is that if I would be uncomfortable going out lightly dressed then it's unfair to take the bird out in that temp. Being tropical birds I doubt they are built to go down too much colder than the average night temperatures in the tropics.

I guess you can run outside underdressed for 5 minutes on a snowing day, take some pics, and run back inside, then the parrot can do the same cause the feathers are good insulation. However, once the reserve of warmth from inside wears off and they have to depend on their own bodies to make the heat, they can get quite stressed out.

I would think the larger birds are at less risk of getting cold for a short time out in the cold than smaller birds. However, I do not recommend and would not personally take any parrot outdoors (unless toweled, etc) if the temperature is below 50 degrees. I have heard of people leaving them in outdoor aviaries with temperatures close to freezing but what's the point? Just cause they can survive it doesn't mean they are comfortable or enjoy it. I think their preferred/optimum temperature range is like 60-80F degrees if not even more like 70-90F.

I try not to let the temperature in my house drop below 70 in the winter but definitely not below 65. So in the summer I'm running about 80-85F and in the winter 68-75F.

When I take my parrot out in the spring or fall when temperatures are a bit less than desired, I purposefully don't wear a jacket so that if I get cold, I'll know my parrot is cold and bring her in. If someone bundles up in an arctic jacket and takes their parrot outside, they are just clueless about how the parrot would be feeling.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Natacha » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:12 am

MandyG wrote:1) What is the ideal indoor temperature for captive parrots? What temperature is too cold for a parrot to be in 24/7?

Parrots can be pretty resistant actually. If you get them slowly used to being in some slightly colder temperatures, they can adapt fairly well. Of course, I'm not talking about being below freezing point without shelter. I never liked it too hot in my house, same with my parents, and we normally keep the heating at around 21 degrees Celsius. It's comfortable enough for my boyfriend and I to be in t-shirts, I assume it's fine for the birds. I've seen people with outside aviaries where the birds live permanently and the temperature outside goes lower than 21 degrees Celsius (this is obviously not in Canada..). Those birds are getting used to the drop of temperature slowly do fine during the winter.

I've seen a few videos of people that take their parrots outside when there is still snow on the ground, I'm sure it's not as cold as -45c but it must still be cold out for the snow to be on the ground!

I haven't given a look to the links you provided below, but I also heard about parrots playing in snow. Those ones were birds that were used to be outside and there might have been an occasional snow fall and the birds would play in the snow. I've heard of people here bringing their birds out in the snow on a "warmer" winter day, when the temperature is closer to 0 degrees Celsius.

Is the drastic temperature change from indoors to outside in the colder months too much for a parrot?

I think this is the worst. The drastic change of temperature. I despise having to go to the vet in the winter but if I do, the carriers are well covered and the car heated before the I bring the bird to it.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby MissLady9902 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:02 am

I keep my house between 68-76 F.
None of the birds appear uncomfortable and I'm comfortable in that temperature. Even my finches don't appear affected by it since it's always that temp.
I think it also depends on the bird.
I've heard that cockatiels can tolerate a low temperature if aclimated to it properly because in the wild their natural habitat has extreme temperatures ie: 50's at night and 90's during the day.
I don't know about greys or senies but I think i'm going to look into it.
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby MandyG » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:56 pm

We keep the house around 18-19 celsius. It doesn't seem to bother him but sometimes when I pick him up his feet feel cold and snuggles right up to me. I was worried that was maybe too cold for him.

The 'comfortable in a t-shirt' rule of thumb makes sense! Although in the summer if it wasn't above at least 22 celsius I wouldn't take him outside. But I'm also cold unless it's at least 25 celsius. Guess I am being a little over protective of him. :?
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Return to General Parrot Care