Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to catch a Parrot

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

How to catch a Parrot

Postby Pip Logan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:24 pm

How do you catch a wild parrot?
Pip Logan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Homing Pigeons
Flight: Yes

Re: How to catch a Parrot

Postby Michael » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:50 pm

You don't. That is now illegal around most parts of the world.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Pip Logan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:43 pm

Hmmmm
Pip Logan
Lovebird

Postby MandyG » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:07 pm

Michael wrote:You don't. That is now illegal around most parts of the world.

As it should be!
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby triplebbirds » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:53 pm

Wait you mean like rain forrest- in the wild dont want anything to do with you- parrot? why why and why again?

or maybe you mean like the wild groups of quakers we have or the conures that have become wild? thats what you mean right??
triplebbirds
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 20
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Postby Kathleen » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:39 am

Why would you want a wild parrot? A hand raised parrot would be more enjoyable as a pet.
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Pip Logan » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:42 am

Well I was talking about the little squaker groups they are not rain forrst birds. Aparently they escaped from the San Diego Zoo 20 yrs ago and now fly around SD in HUGE #'s. I dont want to sell them. I thought it would be better than going thru a breeder.
Pip Logan
Lovebird

Postby Kathleen » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:27 am

If you want it as a pet, I absolutely doubt it. A hand raised bird from a breeder would be hand feeding, weaning it onto a wholesome and varied diet, conditioning it to humans, socializing it, and more. If you get a wild caught adult bird, it will have already been conditioned to being with a flock of birds, and it will have learned everything its own bird parents taught to it, which most likely doesn't include that humans are nice and not dangerous. It will most likely always fall back on what its parents taught it, and even if you work with it for years and years, it may never bond with you (it probably won't because it will want to find a mate like its parents because birds imprint sexually on their parents).

I highly, highly suggest to you to contact a breeder or a store that sells birds if you want a bird. Don't catch a wild bird because it won't be an enjoyable pet.
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby triplebbirds » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:08 pm

On top of that they could have an illness that will infect the rest of your birds. And its not like a dog. It wont see you as rescue-ing it and saving it from the winter that is almost identical to last years winter. I can tell you when a quaker wants to it can pack a whollop of a bite. The only way i could imagine this in terms of the parrots feeling would be if you got kidnapped by wolves and never seen another human. DONT DO IT. Why would getting a ferel bird be better than going to a breeder?
triplebbirds
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 20
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Postby Pip Logan » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:09 pm

Yeah that makes sence I just didnt want to buy a bird if there where ones that would want a home ya know ? But after your post I see I would most likley do more harm than good to it. Thanks guys! And advice on an outside parret than? Like what kind of breed and what not?
Pip Logan
Lovebird

Next

Return to General Parrot Care