Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to catch a Parrot

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: How to catch a Parrot

Postby Michael » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:04 pm

Why are you so interested in keeping a parrot outside? Most of them are tropical species and if they belong outside then it is in their natural habitat. Yes, some of us like to bring our birds outside or into aviaries for certain warm portions of the year but few if anyone in the US keeps them outdoors year round. Furthermore, what would be the point? If you're buying it as a companion, then you'll want them at home to interact with. They are like a member of the family. I really don't see the point in owning a parrot and keeping it strictly outside.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Pip Logan » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:13 pm

Living in San Diego we spend most of our time outdoors and I dont want a bird that wont do well out side ya know? Thats why I keep asking questions yet no one can answer me.
Pip Logan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Homing Pigeons

Postby triplebbirds » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:28 pm

Ok in that case then yeah maybe go with a Quaker. Find out if that is the bird for you. Also do some reading on keeping them outdoors in your area. Visit with a breeder. A good percentage of us are sitting inside with a blanket of snow outside and so keeping a pet bird outside is crazy to us. Figure out what kind of bird would work with your lifestyle then decied if you would be able to house it outdoors if that is what you desire. Oh wait a second you live in CA. It is illegal to own a quaker. So that should be out of the question.
triplebbirds
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 20
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Postby Michael » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:06 pm

That's why they're illegal in states like that is because they survive and reproduce too well.

BTW, are they illegal just to sell in those states where they are illegal or to own as well?
Michael
Macaw

Postby miajag » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:56 pm

It varies from state to state, but usually if they're illegal to sell they're illegal to own as well. According to this article, New York and Connecticut are two states where it's legal to own them, but not breed or sell.

http://www.quakerparrots.com/general/why-quaker-parrot-laws/
miajag
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar

Postby triplebbirds » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:59 pm

Own or sell. Both. Not sure on the laws as far as how strict they are as far as what would happen if you were caught. But wouldnt want to risk it myself. There are ferel colonies all over our country. They adept very well. They claim that quakers could pose an threat to the crop lands.
This is a wonderful website that lists each states laws
http://www.quakerville.net/qic/statelaw.asp

I know many people keep their breeder birds outdoors but i wouldnt do it with the pets.

Word of the wise. Dont try and sneak a quaker in. Dont be the person that says i never thought it could happen to me and now my bird is gone and im sittin in court facing jail time.

These birds get loud. They have a disctinct voice. They will give you away very quickly.
triplebbirds
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Postby Michael » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:15 pm

They are legal in NY, just must be banded.

What is freaky though is there are states like Connecticut where it illegal to TRANSPORT them through the state (thanks for the triplebbirds). This is kind of crazy cause someone could be going from New York to Massachusetts (or whatever) with their pet Monk Parakeet and then be held accountable for that.

Basically, anyone who owns or is thinking of owning a Monk Parakeet (incorrectly labeled the Quaker Parrot by some) should keep this list handy and check back before taking their parrot any place like to visit Auntie Sue in Connecticut.
Michael
Macaw

Postby miajag » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:23 pm

LOL. Do you go around correcting people who call their Green Cheeked Parakeets "Conures" as well? If it's the generally accepted term in aviculture, it's not incorrect.
miajag
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar

Postby triplebbirds » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:26 pm

Yes, we have Pennsylvania with a very strict no quaker law. I live in ohio but very close to the PA border and the WV border. Our bird vet is in WV. So depending on road construction i could be commiting a crime. If i were pulled over in PA with the birds then i would then loose them and go to jail. Also i cant ship out of PA. You buy a quaker from you your going to have to show ID. You live in a state where its illegal then sorry bout your luck. And mind you the house and senate were trying to make very strict laws about owning exotics wich includes our parrots.

Also these websites arent all inclusive. There is a chance that the law in the state says something is ok, but then in turn your county or town would have laws about owning an animal.
triplebbirds
Conure

Postby Michael » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:31 pm

That is crazy! Jail for having a kind of bird? I can see why freeing them could be something you want to be against the law but just driving through a state with one in a carrier is a whole different story. It's incredible how blown out of proportion this rules are. Sounds like it's too much trouble and burden to breed these birds, especially in a state with so many restrictions!
Michael
Macaw

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care