Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Anyone have a parrot they can trust around cooking?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Anyone have a parrot they can trust around cooking?

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:58 pm

Does anyone have a parrot they can leave out while cooking (particularly flighted ones) where you know for certain it knows to stay away from the cookware and trust it to roam free while you cook (knives, boiling water, pans, etc)?

I know I sure don't. I wish Kili would be more timid of that kinda stuff. But I've had her land in a (luckily cold) pan right on the stove. But then I knew I'd have a fried Senegal if it were actually on with her out. Has anyone successfully let their bird touch a just slightly hot stove where they learned their lesson and forever stayed away from it (kind of like people do with children)?

While I don't trust Kili around a hot pot/pan I do trust her around my hot lights. I have a pair of 1,000 watt lamps I use for some of my videos and I was really worried about Kili flying into one when she started to fly. They get extremely hot but Kili doesn't seem the least bit interested. I think the fact that they are blindingly bright reduces her desire of flying toward them anyway. Also I usually raise them as high as the ceiling and she flies lower than the height they shine from.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Anyone have a parrot they can trust around cooking?

Postby triplebbirds » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:08 pm

I dont let my birds touch it when its cold. Wouldnt let them near it when its hot. I would be to worried i would become complacient of then touching it when its hot. And i dont let my little kids touch the stove either. Heck some days i dont think i should be allowed to touch the stove.
triplebbirds
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 20
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Postby miajag » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:25 pm

Winnie is usually out when I'm cooking, but always on top of her cage or play gym. She's never flown off of those unless spooked, and even then she always flies straight across the room onto the curtain rod. If she had more curious tendencies, I'd definitely put her away.
miajag
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar

Postby Natacha » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:44 pm

I don't tend to cook with the birds out as some of them are rather clumsy (aka Joey..) and could fly in the kitchen and land at the wrong thing at the wrong time. It's a risk I'm not really willing to take.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby MandyG » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:53 pm

Mojo is almost always in his cage when my husband is cooking. He's had too many crash landings in the kitchen that have been near/on the stove when we weren't cooking that I don't want to risk it! Sometimes if I'm training I will continue and not put him away if my husband starts cooking, but that's only when I have his complete attention and it's not for that long. We stop training before he starts to lose interest so I'm not that worried that he's going to go flying off to see what's going on in the kitchen. If I was the one cooking he'd always be away because he flies to me all the time, he really has no interest in being near my husband so I don't worry about him going in there when I'm interacting with him.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Return to General Parrot Care