Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bathing a Parrot

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Bathing a Parrot

Postby goffin » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:37 am

Hi All,

Just got a new Goffin Cockatoo - she is only a few months old.

I was told to make sure she was bathed at least four time per week during the winter so she did not get dry skin and pluck. Problem is she does not seem to like to be sprayed, bathed or take a shower. I have tried different temperatures, different methods. She is a little neophobic. Anything new she stays away from for weeks (toys, food ...). So adding a shallow plate of water to the bottom of her cage is like a plate of fire to her. Though she seems to be alright with a blow dryer she shakes like a leaf - I snuggle with her after until she is warm but seems somewhat cold for a while.

Questions:
Is four times per week too much, too little or about right?
How can I get her used to or liking bath time?
How can I make sure she does not get a chill after the bath?

Thanks,
Marc :cockatoo:
goffin
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Goffin Cockatoo
Flight: No

Re: Bathing a Parrot

Postby Michael » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:52 am

Never use a blow drier on a bird. There are soo many problems with that like it can burn the bird, dries them out too much, and could be teflon in the drier.

As for bathing... Are you sure your bird is only a few months old? Usually they are more willing to explore when they are younger. Perhaps it was poorly raise. I can't speak for the specifics of cockatoos but I think four times a week might be a bit much. Personally, I'm probably showering my Senegal just once a week in the winter cause it's colder. I usually wait for the day the heat is on too high and it gets hot in the room and then shower her. You could try getting a shower perch and putting the cockatoo on it to shower. Your Cockatoo can't fly so what's it going to do? Maybe it will be scared the first time but after a few times I don't think it should mind?

As for keeping warm after shower, I shake my bird off and then towel her. She likes it cause its warmer that way. Then I put her back in her cage because there are several lamps next to it so it makes it warmer. Once, I pointed a hot light right at the bird from a distance to warm it up.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby tacotaco » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:42 am

i also think four times is a little too much. they are very clean naturally with all the preening they do but once a week to wash all that dust they create and gather off is more ideal.
with my cockatoo we used to have, my dad would fill a tray up with warm water and eventually she would go into it. i can't really remember how she was at first (sorry)
if there is some kind of food your cockatoo really likes, maybe celery or some other veggie, you can throw some in the bowl with a little bit of water to see if he/she would be more willing to go in and get used to it. otherwise, the shower perch is a good idea.
good luck and keep us posted!
Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Allegra ~ Gold Capped Conure
Willow ~ Blue fronted Amazon
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
Our Blog ~ http://www.lifeistemp.blogspot.com
Our YouTube~ http://www.youtube.com/user/icanpwnUn00b?feature=mhum]
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conures (2), Gold Capped Conure, Blue fronted Amazon

Postby goffin » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:55 am

She had a shower with me today. She doesn't freak out or bite - she just sits there and wants to be scratched - shakes a little. Maybe I am just used to my parents lesser sulfur who used to spread his wings, squack and carry on any time he was near water. Loved baths, showers, spray bottles...
goffin
Parakeet

Postby goffin » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:57 am

Michael wrote:Never use a blow drier on a bird. There are soo many problems with that like it can burn the bird, dries them out too much, and could be teflon in the drier.

As for bathing... Are you sure your bird is only a few months old?

Very careful with the drier - keep it at low temps, far away and never keep it in one spot for any length of time. i do hear your concerns.

Am I positive she is only a few months - no - have to take the persons word for it. She does not seem full grown in feather or size though.
goffin
Parakeet

Postby MandyG » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:58 am

Thankfully the breeder I got my Amazon from used a spray bottle and a shower perch before he was sent to me. Even though he was used to the shower he wasn't really excited for the first while, he would just sit on the perch and talk a bit. Now he flips upside down on his perch, flaps his wings, and talks non stop in the shower! It may just be a matter of time for her to realize how much fun bathing can really be. It's a good sign that she wants to be scratched too! Give her lots of attention and talk to her excitedly to show her how much fun showering is. I usually make a big deal about going into the shower and my amazon gets really excited and has a great time.

I bathe my bird about 2-3 times a week. Even if he's not really in the mood and he stays out of the water the humidity in the bathroom is still good for them, especially in the dry winter months. I've heard of some people that bathe their birds daily, I don't know if that's excessive or if it really does benefit the bird, but it simply doesn't fit my schedule.

As for keeping him warm after I don't really do much. While I'm getting dressed and doing other things I let him stay on his perch in the warm bathroom for a while so most of the excess water can drip off of him. If it's particularily cold during the winter I'll wrap him in a towel for a few minutes but he usually wants out after a short time. Once he's free to do his own thing he'll fly to his perch or his cage and preen until he's dry! :amazon:
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby issy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:11 pm

I normally give Sheldon a bath or spray once a day, if i miss one day I will usually find him in his water bowl. On hot days he is bathing throughout the day =D
Image- Sheldon

Image- Evey
issy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow Lorikeet
Sun Conure

Postby pfinarffle » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:27 am

Other than the cold being potentially bad for their health, from experience I've noticed our :senegal: displays more mating behavior as we shower him more often. I think at least in Africa the rainy season = start of mating season. He'll get riled up even if he starts hearing water from faucets! And although your bird is from Australia, this is just another thing to potentially consider...
pfinarffle
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot

Return to General Parrot Care