Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Do you let other pets contact parrots?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Do you let other pets contact parrots?

Postby MandyG » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:06 pm

Michael wrote:You have to start out assuming you'll get nothing more than bitten for your hard effort.

And for some birds don't forget going deaf and crazy from those screeches and screams! :cockatoo:

Michael wrote:Forget a class, just volunteer for a day at a bird/pet store and get bit a few times and clean poop. If you still want the pet, you're good to go.

I agree, but unfortunately a lot of people just walk into the store and see something they want and then take it home. Or else they do their research on youtube and see videos like yours where you have a bird that comes when called and does cute tricks almost effortlessly. A lot of people definitely wear blinders when thinking about a new pet.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:17 pm

Are you suggesting I should make a video of Kili having one of her little fits screaming and biting? Who wants to see that anyway? I thought that was a given for any parrot (child or highly intelligent animal) for that matter!
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby MandyG » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:34 pm

No, I wasn't suggesting that! But it might not be a bad idea, a lot of people watch your videos, it might put things into perspective for somebody that hasn't owned a bird. They might not realize that even a well behaved and trained bird is still a bird and the noise and mess still come with it! I'd watch it, for somebody that's new to birds it might be helpful to see how to handle those kinds of situations. And it would be interesting to hear the noise level of a Senegal compared to an Amazon!
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby triplebbirds » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:08 pm

I agree that it might be a not totally bad idea. I will admit i found your videos before finding the forum. One breeder in new mexico i believe has a video of the babies screaming at night. (that happens to be pugzy's favorite video) But its hard to believe that a bird as good as kili seems on the videos has a bad day. Yes as bird people we understand this. but some people look and think wow i can teach my bird to do all those tricks and it will look so great. Now by no means am i telling you that you definatly should do it. and that birds like kili make the rest of our fids look bad. Ok im going way off topic.....
I think the main reason that a lot of animals in general get "re-homed" is the same reason they get them.
Example
Reason for getting bird: I want it to talk
Reason for rehoming bird: It screams

Reason for getting bird: I want a companion
Reason for rehoming bird: The bird is to clingy

Reason for getting bird: Its exotic
Reason for rehoming bird: It takes work

You get the point, Most of the time people just dont know what they are in for.
triplebbirds
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 20
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Postby notscaredtodance » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:20 am

Back to the original topic, lol...

I have pet rats in the same room as my bird, and they definitely show a lot of interest in eachother, but I wouldn't let the bird cling to the side of their cage and walk ontop of it, incase either she tried to bite them through the bars, or they tried to bite at her feet. I'll let her sit on my shoulder and get about 6 inches from them though.

For the dogs, I have a 100 lb puppy who I won't let go near her at all, and a 14 year old dog that I'll let in the room with her, but I'd never let him up on the bed with her because I think she'd attack him, not the other way around.
notscaredtodance
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby TheNzJessie » Mon May 03, 2010 11:58 pm

completly agree with michael about volunteering at a pet store as i do and its no walk in the park. if u think your going to be hanging out behind the scenes playing with the cute kittens and african greay..WRONG 98% of your time is cleaning feeding and more cleaning 1% of your time is lunch 0.5% of your time is shutting up the store at the end of the day and the other 0.5% is playing with the pets.

i userly walk around with one of the birds on my shoulder. its either a rainbow lorikeet a African grey a cockatiel or a cockatoo depending on what birds we have or are babysitting for people. but i try to avoid if it younf children come into the petstore because they want cuddles with the bird and i dont trust the birds enough as i dont know there history and would hate for one of them to be bitten

and yes i first budgie i had was best friends with my minilop rabbit. but my rabbit lives outside now and im positive my cat and my budgie now wont get along
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby TheNzJessie » Tue May 04, 2010 12:04 am

and regards to michael asking if dogs every get rehomes. we get a lot of people buying puppies (and kittens) from us and no longer want them when there no longer 'a baby' or it is quite frequent we get puppies back because they say they pooped on the floor (well its a puppe its liek a baby of course its gona poop on the floor!) unless you potty train it of course. because the puppies we get are between 10-14 weeks old and we never have them long enough to potty train them sop its up to the owner...and we tell them and give them care sheets. but abour 9% of puppies are returned its quite sad
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby issy » Tue May 04, 2010 2:53 am

The only animal I let Sheldon out around is my rabbit. She shows no interest in sheldon but he loves bouncing after her.
Image- Sheldon

Image- Evey
issy
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow Lorikeet
Sun Conure

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care