Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

The Good Time Out

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

The Good Time Out

Postby sift » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:29 am

I've never had a parrot before (though I have worked with some and been exposed to numerous birds belonging to friends) and so I've been reading and reading and reading and harrassing everyone I know who has had large birds to relay any bit of information they can to me. I have already been informed that the cage the pi is in is too small and so that situation will be remedied as soon as she's had time to settle in. I am already expecting her to be somewhat sad and traumatized from the move and I understand that moving them to a new cage can be stressful as well, so I'm going to let things be for a little while at least. I'm also looking into buying her a playstand that can be moved from room to room (yay, wheels!) for when she's comfortable being around me.

I manage a pet store and so I work retail hours; mostly eight hour daytime shifts but some evenings too. I also teach dog obedience classes and am gone a couple hours a couple nights a week for this as well. I will have no less than an hour to spend with her every day and typically closer to three or four hours of 'time out' of her cage where we can interact. There are dogs in my household as well as reptiles and a cat. The dogs know better than to touch anything that is designated off-limits and so does the cat. The reptiles are caged unless I'm handling them directly and I'd never have them out when the parrot is out.

So. My question is this...

How much time out of her cage is not enough time out? It is my intention to have her out of her cage any time when I am home and not occupied by parrot-unsafe activities (i.e. cooking or cleaning) but will three or four hours an evening be sufficient for a pionus parrot of her age? Is it sufficient for her to be within eyesight and hearing distance of other activities (i.e. TV watching or reading) or does she have to be directly interacted with for long periods of time? I have a tendency to talk to everything (even my fish!) so she won't lack for aural stimulation, that's for sure.

I know that every species is different and then every individual within a species is different but it would be lovely to hear some numbers as to how much time you spend with your bird on a daily basis and what you're doing during that time.

Thanks so much!
sift
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue-headed Pionus
Flight: Yes

Re: The Good Time Out

Postby Michael » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:50 am

I cannot speak specifically for Pionus but I'd say for just about any parrot, what matters more is the environment and activities than specific out time per say. For instance, the cage needs to have toys, forarging toys, and other intellectual things to occupy its time. The time it spends out of the cage should be as enjoyable and productive as well.

I don't think my parrot spends more than 2-4 hours out of the cage on a typical day either but she gets a lot of attention during this time and enjoys every bit of it. Then again there are lots of things for her to do in her cage so she never refuses to go back.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Kathleen » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:13 pm

A few hours per day should be fine. She can play on the playstand with toys while you watch television or read if she is in the same room as you. Destroying different toys on a playstand is new, fun and exciting for a bird that has been in its cage for the rest of the day with other toys to play with and I would consider that "out" time and rewarding for a bird.
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Michael » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:19 pm

BTW, let me just add that what you are referring to is "out of cage time" because a "time out" is usually when a bird is put back into cage or left in a room by itself to cool down after getting too excited or aggressive.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby sift » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:45 pm

Michael wrote:BTW, let me just add that what you are referring to is "out of cage time" because a "time out" is usually when a bird is put back into cage or left in a room by itself to cool down after getting too excited or aggressive.

Exactly. Hence the ''good'' part. :)

I also plan to take her outside with me in the summer (back yard, her wings will be clipped) and possibly even for walks, depending on how social and ''brave'' she is. If a few hours a day is sufficient then I'm happy. The fact that she's being rehomed again (this will be her fourth home in ten years (including the breeder's home)) makes me want to be utterly sure that I'm doing everything right for her.
sift
Parrotlet

Postby triplebbirds » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:57 pm

Please be careful with taking her outside. Even with a wing clip a good wind could give her all the boost she needs.
triplebbirds
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 20
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Postby sift » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:33 am

triplebbirds wrote:Please be careful with taking her outside. Even with a wing clip a good wind could give her all the boost she needs.

Thanks for the heads up!
sift
Parrotlet

Return to General Parrot Care