Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Help: MICE!

Postby Cage Cleaner » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:39 pm

Yup
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Postby Naurthon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:09 am

Ultrasound devices have been demonstrated to be ineffective in repelling rodents and other pests. http://www.ratbehavior.org/rathearing.htm Don't waste your money.

The most effective mouse trap I've ever used was actually home made. The idea was given to me by a ranger stationed in the Olympic National Park who had a ton of mice to deal with at his cabin. It contains no toxins and, best of all, can catch multiple mice. My aunt once caught 24 mice in her garage just over night using this method.

You'll need a bucket, an empty soda can, a piece of wood like a ruler about 18-24" long, and a wire coat hanger to build the basic trap.

Punch a hole about the size of a pencil in the bottom of the soda can. Straighten the wire coat hanger and run it through the soda can, making sure that the can can rotate freely on the coat hanger. Bend the coat hanger so the can is suspended in the bucket. The can should be 4-6" below the top of the bucket. Lean the wood against the bucket to form a ramp from the floor to the top of the bucket. Pour about 6" of water into the bucket. The water needs to be deep enough so that the mice can't rest on the bottom, but not so deep that they can reach up and grab hold of the soda can. Smear a little peanut butter on the can (it works best if you smear it in three of four stripes along the length of the can.

The trap works by attracting the mice to the smell of the peanut butter. They climb the ramp to get it, but because the can is too low for them to reach, they jump down onto the can, which spins and dumps them into the water where they drown.

I would not recommend having this trap out while your parrots are out of their cages, as it could just as easily catch them as it catches mice. Set it out at night after your birds have been tucked in to their cages. Mice are most active at night anyway, so it is really the best time to trap them.
Nikko, Black Capped Conure :gcc: (hatched April 2008)
Maxwell, Senegal Parrot :senegal: (hatched 2004?)
Dante, Congo African Grey :gray: (hatched Nov 28, 2009)
Naurthon
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Black capped conure, Senegal parrot, Congo African grey
Flight: No

Postby Cage Cleaner » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:49 pm

No
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Postby liz » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:52 pm

Get the kittens fixed before they are 6 months old or they could be breeding as fast as the mice. That includes male cats. If you get them fixed you have fewer vet bills to patch them up after fights.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Cage Cleaner » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:14 am

Ok
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Postby liz » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:50 pm

I find dead moles on my front porch every morning in the summer. They are always laying in the same place. My Princess Squeekie cat brings them as gifts.

A well fed and well cared for cat will catch more rodents than a hungry one because they have more energy. Anything well fed feels like playing and your mice are the toys. Don't be surprised to find more dead mice.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Cage Cleaner » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:52 am

K
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Postby MeanDonnaJean » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:36 pm

Shelby wrote:The BEST traps we've ever used are called Vector traps. They look like a cross between a clamshell and a clothespin....

I've got those same traps and yep, they worked well enuff...even tho I only caught one of those sneaky lil' devils, but that's all I ever saw and I still ain't seen any to this very day.

I went on a total rodent freakout rampage the day after I saw that one in the house. Bought glue traps, an electronic thing-a-ma-jiggy and the Vector traps.

And just in case, they're ALL still cocked 'n loaded 'n ready for action! ;-)
MeanDonnaJean
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 29
Types of Birds Owned: 1 female cockatiel; 2 male & 2 female budgies, plus lots
& lots of adorable healthy baby budgies born between Sept. 2013
and Jan. 2014.

Postby Cage Cleaner » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:07 pm

Trinity
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Postby Shelby » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:55 pm

Cage Cleaner wrote:Could someone link me one of those vector traps? Haven't been able to figure out what they are.

Whoops - they're actually Victor traps. My bad. These are the ones we have:
Victor Quick Set traps
Shelby
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: I don't have a bird yet
Flight: No

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care