Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Help: MICE!

Postby Cage Cleaner » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:03 am

K
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:10 am

I hope you no longer keep them outdoors. Outdoor cats live, on average, 6 years less than indoor ones.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Cage Cleaner » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:03 am

K
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:56 am

:lol: I don't think that where you live makes any difference on whether your pets live outdoors or indoors because, if I lived in a ranch, my cats and dogs would still live indoors. It's not the place, it's the philosophy.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:18 pm

I live on a six acre mini farm, if I chose to call it a ranch instead of farm would it mean my animals would have to live outside, except for the birds?
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Cage Cleaner » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:24 pm

K
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Postby Cage Cleaner » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:26 pm

Gl
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Postby Wolf » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:32 am

Since I spent the majority of my life either working on cattle ranches in Nebraska and Wyoming or on Thoroughbred farms training race horses as well as breeding them. I don't think that it changes ones perspective as far as whether you allow your dogs and cats to live with you at all. Living with a cat or dog does not mean that it does not go outside to run and do other dog or cat things. It does put a crimp into their outside activities if you live in a city or in town but then cats that live inside also live well into their 20's and most dogs also end up living to a ripe old age which does vary considerably due to the breed. I think that you just follow the old adage that animals belong outside and not inside as your arguments to defend that position are not sound.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:24 am

Cage Cleaner wrote:
Pajarita wrote::lol: I don't think that where you live makes any difference on whether your pets live outdoors or indoors because, if I lived in a ranch, my cats and dogs would still live indoors. It's not the place, it's the philosophy.

If you lived on a ranch, you may have a different phisolophy. Indoor cats are deprived. They're fat and obese and deprived of a balanced diet.

Outdoor cats live 6 yeras shorter based on numbers taken from studies that include feral cats. The average age of a feral cat is 5 years old. Cats with a caretaker that are not feral live to their 20's because they are moving around and exercised all day. They also eat a hunting diet supplemented by whatever food you give them, along with vet care.

:lol: I have 7 cats right now but had up to 26 when I lived in Pa (I used to foster for a rescue group), all of them indoor cats and not a single one obese or even fat! (none of my animals is overweight, not a single one). And most definitely not deprived of a balanced diet (my animals eat better than me and my husband) or entertainment (they have their own room with windows, condos, shelves, beds, toys, etc).

Yours is a philosophy which has become obsolete, see these:
http://www.cat-world.com.au/indoor-vs-outdoor-cats
http://www.petco.com/Content/ArticleLis ... doors.aspx
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Hookturn » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:09 am

Ones opinion regarding whether an animal should live outside or in doesn't become obsolete. It's just an opinion. Personally I don't have cats anymore but when I did I let mine "live" in the house but let them have plenty of time outside. Cats love to run and hunt outside but I think they should be allowed in whenever they want. I feel the same about dogs of which I have three. They are always in at night but allowed outside during the day whenever they want. The only time I think it's wrong to keep animals outside is if they don't have proper protection from the element.
Hookturn
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure "TJ"

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care