Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help: MICE!

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Help: MICE!

Postby Cage Cleaner » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:39 pm

Michael wrote:Are you talking to me? I already got rid of the infestation a long time ago but still catch a lone rodent here and there. It's under control now. There was always an abundance of crumbs at the bottom of the cage so there was no chance the mice would pass that up in favor of attacking the parrot. And don't think the parrots are completely helpless. In the daytime Kili would probably be the one doing the killing. She gets really pissed if someone tries to invade her cage area. I've heard of breeding Senegal and Cape Parrots killing mice and snakes that ventured into their nests!

Still, it's important to keep this under control. But also it's important to realize that our parrots are not invulnerable just because the cage is on a raised stand.

Hell, I heard of male Linnies killing mice, too when the female is on eggs.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sunday Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby Naurthon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:09 am

Ultrasound devices have been demonstrated to be ineffective in repelling rodents and other pests. http://www.ratbehavior.org/rathearing.htm Don't waste your money.

The most effective mouse trap I've ever used was actually home made. The idea was given to me by a ranger stationed in the Olympic National Park who had a ton of mice to deal with at his cabin. It contains no toxins and, best of all, can catch multiple mice. My aunt once caught 24 mice in her garage just over night using this method.

You'll need a bucket, an empty soda can, a piece of wood like a ruler about 18-24" long, and a wire coat hanger to build the basic trap.

Punch a hole about the size of a pencil in the bottom of the soda can. Straighten the wire coat hanger and run it through the soda can, making sure that the can can rotate freely on the coat hanger. Bend the coat hanger so the can is suspended in the bucket. The can should be 4-6" below the top of the bucket. Lean the wood against the bucket to form a ramp from the floor to the top of the bucket. Pour about 6" of water into the bucket. The water needs to be deep enough so that the mice can't rest on the bottom, but not so deep that they can reach up and grab hold of the soda can. Smear a little peanut butter on the can (it works best if you smear it in three of four stripes along the length of the can.

The trap works by attracting the mice to the smell of the peanut butter. They climb the ramp to get it, but because the can is too low for them to reach, they jump down onto the can, which spins and dumps them into the water where they drown.

I would not recommend having this trap out while your parrots are out of their cages, as it could just as easily catch them as it catches mice. Set it out at night after your birds have been tucked in to their cages. Mice are most active at night anyway, so it is really the best time to trap them.
Nikko, Black Capped Conure :gcc: (hatched April 2008)
Maxwell, Senegal Parrot :senegal: (hatched 2004?)
Dante, Congo African Grey :gray: (hatched Nov 28, 2009)
Naurthon
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Black capped conure, Senegal parrot, Congo African grey
Flight: No

Postby Cage Cleaner » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:49 pm

I've heard of that trap. Building one soon for the garage. Will keep you posted on how it goes.

Also, since stepping up my ODC in terms of cleaning, I haven't seen/heard any signs of mice since. I also haven't caught anything but that's no surprise. Dishes are always done, now, bird area vacuumed morning and night, and sometimes afternoon if I'm home. No food left in their bowls at night. I followed the suggestion of feeding less, and they've been eating the powder and producing less waste--and most importantly, throwing less of it around, as predicted on here by Naurthon and Michael.

AND I just got three outdoor kittens. Yes, THREE. They're not at the age where they are killer mouse hunters, yet, but they will be. Very soon.

Yup, these mice are MOVING OUT.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Postby liz » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:52 pm

Get the kittens fixed before they are 6 months old or they could be breeding as fast as the mice. That includes male cats. If you get them fixed you have fewer vet bills to patch them up after fights.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rainbow
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Tommy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise

Postby Cage Cleaner » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:14 am

No worries, will do.

And I got home today, found a dead mouse just lying next to the garbage can. No trap, nothing. It was just dead. It was nice and plump, too. Not sure why it died. So.... they are still around.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Postby liz » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:50 pm

I find dead moles on my front porch every morning in the summer. They are always laying in the same place. My Princess Squeekie cat brings them as gifts.

A well fed and well cared for cat will catch more rodents than a hungry one because they have more energy. Anything well fed feels like playing and your mice are the toys. Don't be surprised to find more dead mice.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rainbow
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Tommy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise

Postby Cage Cleaner » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:52 am

Well, the dead mouse was inside the house. The cats are in a cage outsdie for the time being while they're getting acclimated to their new house. So the mouse died on it's own accord, separate from the cats. Which is an OMEN.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Postby MeanDonnaJean » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:36 pm

Shelby wrote:The BEST traps we've ever used are called Vector traps. They look like a cross between a clamshell and a clothespin....

I've got those same traps and yep, they worked well enuff...even tho I only caught one of those sneaky lil' devils, but that's all I ever saw and I still ain't seen any to this very day.

I went on a total rodent freakout rampage the day after I saw that one in the house. Bought glue traps, an electronic thing-a-ma-jiggy and the Vector traps.

And just in case, they're ALL still cocked 'n loaded 'n ready for action! ;-)
MeanDonnaJean
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 29
Types of Birds Owned: 1 female cockatiel; 2 male & 2 female budgies, plus lots
& lots of adorable healthy baby budgies born between Sept. 2013
and Jan. 2014.

Postby Cage Cleaner » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:07 pm

Could someone link me one of those vector traps? Haven't been able to figure out what they are.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Postby Shelby » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:55 pm

Cage Cleaner wrote:Could someone link me one of those vector traps? Haven't been able to figure out what they are.

Whoops - they're actually Victor traps. My bad. These are the ones we have:
Victor Quick Set traps
Shelby
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: I don't have a bird yet
Flight: No

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care