Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Most ridiculous reasons for rehoming?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

What are the most unnaceptable reason for rehoming a parrot?

Doesn't talk
34%
Too noisy
2%
Not as friendly as when it was a baby
2%
Want to upgrade to a bigger bird that is incompatible
26%
Too much work/too time consuming
6%
Novelty wore off/got bored of bird
23%
Moving, getting married, or going to college
2%
Spouse, significant other, roommate doesn't like it
4%

Total votes : 47

Re: Most ridiculous reasons for rehoming?

Postby miajag » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:36 pm

I don't understand people who don't want to interact with their parrots either, but there are plenty of them out there and they're not going to disappear or stop buying birds anytime soon, unfortunately. As I said, I have no idea what would be best for the bird in such a home (living alone or having a cage-mate), and I'm sure there are pros and cons to either. Again, I most definitely do not agree with a store ONLY selling birds in pairs, but I do understand the logic behind it. In a lot of homes, it very well could be in the birds' best interest.
miajag
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:44 pm

What is the bird's best interest?

And are people acquiring pets out of the pet's best interest or the human's? If the human's best interest is a non-interactive/low maintenance pet then why have one at all?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby MandyG » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:40 pm

Michael wrote:If the human's best interest is a non-interactive/low maintenance pet then why have one at all?

Why have one? For a show piece. To have something neat and exotic that people think is really cool when they come over because it's such a beautiful animal. Then you get rid of it because it turns into a mean, screeching, biting animal because you don't do anything but keep it in it's cage and look at it.

That seems to be a common reason to get one anyway. People that make too much money think they're beautiful and want to get one. It's cute, talks, and does tricks, or so the videos of other people's birds say they do. Basically it's an impulse purchase.

A friend of a friend had a B&G macaw and a Bull Mastiff dog. Both expensive, beautiful, and time consuming animals. He bought them because he made a lot of money and just happened to want them. Then the dog was too big and pushy and the bird was mean and bit. The guy got a job up north making even more money and left both with the girlfriend because he didn't want them anymore. The now ex-girlfriend couldn't handle either and she got rid of them. Unfortunately I don't have the time or money to look after either, otherwise I would have been on my way to Alberta to pick both of them up as soon as I heard they were giving them away. I heard that the bird is now in a bird sanctuary or something like that. I think somebody bought the dog.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby sift » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:52 pm

Kathleen wrote:If that is the case, why not just refuse to sell birds to the people who don't have time for a pet at all? Because that wouldn't be in the store's interest. That's why. The store wants to make a profit by taking advantage of people.

I DO refuse bird adoptions to those types of people. Same as I refuse puppy, kitten, guinea pig, etc., adoptions to those people. The store I run is NOT focused on sales above the focus they show to the animal's best interest.
sift
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Blue-headed Pionus

Postby sift » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:54 pm

Michael wrote:What is the bird's best interest?

And are people acquiring pets out of the pet's best interest or the human's? If the human's best interest is a non-interactive/low maintenance pet then why have one at all?

People take great pleasure out of fish in aquariums and that's about as non-interactive as you get. I also know people who just like to come and watch and listen to the budgies. Does that make them poor budgie owners? I don't think so, provided they give their pets a very large cage, good nutrition, and proper toys to mentally stimulate them.
sift
Parrotlet

Postby Michael » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:01 pm

sift wrote:The store I run is NOT focused on sales above the focus they show to the animal's best interest.

So let me get this straight. If someone is potentially an irresponsible parrot owner you won't sell them one parrot but if they pay your store more by buying two, you will make an exception and sell them two? This is a really crooked way of doing business.

If you absolutely believe in nothing but the animal's best interest, you should not sell pets at all or own them.
Michael
Macaw

Postby sift » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:49 pm

Michael wrote:
sift wrote:The store I run is NOT focused on sales above the focus they show to the animal's best interest.

So let me get this straight. If someone is potentially an irresponsible parrot owner you won't sell them one parrot but if they pay your store more by buying two, you will make an exception and sell them two? This is a really crooked way of doing business.

If you absolutely believe in nothing but the animal's best interest, you should not sell pets at all or own them.

I don't know if you're deliberately misunderstanding or if your personal views (that sound strangely reminescent of PETA's) cloud your ability to objectively consider the statements that I'm making. Either way what I am saying is that different people want different things from their pets and that as long as the animal's best interests are what they have at heart then I am quite happy to send a pet home. If that means that they want one parrot to interact with on a daily basis for appropriate amounts of time then that's okay by me. If it means that they would like two budgies to observe, listen to, and enjoy without human interaction then that's okay too. I would not send one parrot home to a family who states that they do not have adequate time to spend with it because I believe that would be detrimental to the bird's mental/emotional health. I don't understand how it is that you feel that human interaction is more beneficial to a bird than interaction with another bird. Please try to remember that the two bird policy for flocking birds is not MY policy but a policy that the store has and is not a policy that must be adhered to in appropriate situations.

Further, if you think that owning a domesticated dog is not in its best interest then I am curious as to what you would suggest that we do with all the domesticated dogs on this planet (as well as any other domesticated animal that is incapable of fending for itself without human assistance).
sift
Parrotlet

Postby LisaM » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:32 pm

I think reasons for rehoming a bird vary by a person's own circumstances. If your spouse does not like them, then they should of thought about that in the very beginning. But, kids can be a whole different ballpark. I have a 2 1/2 year old boy that can stress my 2 cockatiels out. I can't keep them out all day when he is around. If I don't have my eye on him at all times he can be found banging on the bird's cage and laughing and screaming. He obviously thinks it is play when the birds are squawking back. To the birds it is obviously totally different. There is only so much you can teach a toddler when it comes to animals. Little kids will most likely not understand for a few years. There is no amount of reasoning possible at this age. So, my birds do not get as much attention and time out of their cage as they should with him around. I had already owned my birds for 3-4 years before I had kids. I was totally unaware of the kid factor and owning birds at the same time. I suppose if he was a few years older, it would be a little better for them with him around.

I can't believe people would rehome a bird or trade it in for a bigger bird. I was unaware that people would actually do that. I think the most ridiculous one I have heard of is that they owner got bored with the parrot after all the new fun wore off.
LisaM
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:43 pm

I have specifically had someone tell me that he got bored of the parrotlet he had barely had a year because he couldn't get it to do tricks. So he was going to get a Sun Conure and get rid of the parrotlet because he couldn't keep two birds. With that kind of patience/dedication, it's no wonder he didn't have any success with the bird.
Michael
Macaw

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care