Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Has anyone else heard of this type of "grooming"?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Has anyone else heard of this type of "grooming"?

Postby AtomicPink » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:55 am

I very recently inherited an Umbrella Cockatoo from a friend who became to ill to care for her. When we were going over all her care instructions she told me that she brought her to a local bird specialty store regularly for grooming and usually the charge for this grooming is $40 and since I was helping her out she wanted to pay all the birds future grooming appointments for me. I asked what exactly was involved in the grooming and she said that they would pluck out several feathers from random places, long ones from her tail, short ones from her back, etc. The bird store lady's explanation of why this was necessary was very long but part of it was something to do with certain "bad" feathers were interfering with growth and causing the bird constant discomfort which will lead to insanity.

Now I have no intention of bringing this bird back to this place and allowing her feathers to be yanked out again. I have a decent amount of experience working with birds both as a technician for several years in an exotic pet clinic and with my own birds, and I have never once heard of this. I am wondering if anyone else has ever been told they need regularly pluck feathers from their bird or if this is just something that this bird store made up. :cockatoo:
AtomicPink
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella Cockatoo
Flight: No

Re: Has anyone else heard of this type of "grooming"?

Postby MissLady9902 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:22 am

The only time i've ever heard of the need to pluck a feather is if the bird broke a blood feather and it was bleeding.
Sounds like a load of crap to me but I haven't done any research on it.
I wouldn't take my birds either. I assumed grooming meant triming nails and beak...maybe a bath but I think that's pushing it.
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey

Postby Michael » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:41 am

Just make sure that this bird does not have some kind of specific/individual condition. If it is a normal healthy bird, I think this sounds wrong.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby pchela » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:32 pm

If a bird breaks a feather off halfway and it doesn't come out at the root, it will not grow out until the broken feather has fallen out naturally, usually during a molt. It's the same as the flight feathers that are cut to prevent flight. They grow back about twice a year after the bird has molted. Some people believe that they should help the feathers grow back by plucking out broken ones thus allowing the new feather to grow back in sooner. It is cruel and purely cosmetic and I don't agree with it at all but this is why it is done.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby alight15 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:04 pm

I read something similar on this one site which sells "parrot training videos"
they gave a good explation for it and it was supposed to be included in their videos..but as I read more on parrots and found more sites it was clear this is only in a bad situation unlike stated; and that their video samples were too...controlling of the parrots...like too serious of a' type of parrot training for me to do(I.E. playful dog training compared to K9 police dog training).

but methinks this should only be considered when a real bird vet suggests it
Pet Birds & Safe Woods
Keet Korner
Other Links:
http://ezinearticles.com/?cat=Pets:Birds
http://www.birdcagestand.net
http://www.birdguys.com/pet-bird-articles.html
http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_1422_caring-parakeets.html
alight15
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigars

Postby Suzzique » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:53 am

I would not allow any one to pull feathers from my bird. :p It's one thing if it was a blood feather and the vet was doing it. But just because the feather doesn't look pretty? That is just nuts. The bird store that I go to only charges $10 to clip flight feathers and trim nails. But if you bought your bird from them they don't charge at all.
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:16 pm

Sounds like dangerously expensive woo-woo to me.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Return to General Parrot Care