Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

? Regarding Caique Mating Behavior....

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

? Regarding Caique Mating Behavior....

Postby Pomlover2586 » Tue May 29, 2012 5:57 pm

OK so I've been noticing Iago has been attempting to "hump" my hand a lot lately- guess he really does love me- maybe too much :lol: It's usually when I am scratching his head- he'll reach out with a foot and grab onto my finger and then he tries to pull himself onto my hand- but about halfway on he begins this little grinding motion that is obviously mating behavior. I occasionally rub his chest- but up toward his neck area- never lower belly because I know that can stimulate these behaviors. Any other suggestions? Is this normal since it's spring or do I need to be concerned? :caique:
Iago- WBC
Zazu- BHC
Pomlover2586
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White Bellied Caique, Black Headed Caique
Flight: No

Re: ? Regarding Caique Mating Behavior....

Postby marie83 » Wed May 30, 2012 1:11 am

From the birds point of view it is normal if he is imprinted on humans but at the same time you shouldn't be encouraging the behaviour either because lets face it you aren't going to go and nest with him and have babies. Remove him from you and put him elsewhere at the very earliest stages of this behaviour, when he comes back to you/you go to fetch him then refrain from scratching him til he has cooled off a bit. He will soon get the message if you are consistant.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby Pomlover2586 » Wed May 30, 2012 1:57 am

Yea So far i have been removing him from my hand and placing him back on his perch next to the couch- then I wait a minute or two and continue giving him scritches. Not sure if that is enough....?
Iago- WBC
Zazu- BHC
Pomlover2586
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: White Bellied Caique, Black Headed Caique

Postby BarbaraV » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:56 pm

Hello,
I made a research but I couldn't find any information about it.
Is this behaviour from a female or male?
I got Caju as a female, she is 8 months right now. And this week she started taking the same "action".
Thank you!!!
:caique:
BarbaraV
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Caique

Postby Navre » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:45 am

A female usually raises her butt and back into you, but I think your bird is too young for that. Someone more familiar with caiques can tell us when they go through puberty.

Be sure never to touch her anywhere but her head and neck.
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:42 am

Yes, it is definitely way too young because they become sexually mature at two years of age. Is it possible that you have been free-feeding it pellets and keeping it at a human light schedule? Because both things [the soy in the pellets and the long days] have been found to make their endocrine system go out of whack and make them mature early.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby BarbaraV » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:56 pm

Thank you guys!!
I thought the same, she is way too young for this!!
About her behaviour, she usually starts doing this when extremely excited about one toy when I'm holding her. Btw, she sleeps around 12 hours a day like vet recommended.
Probably I'll give a call to her vet. Just to check the pellets.
Thanks for the advice Pajarita and Navre.
BarbaraV
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:51 am

Ahhh, well, there's your problem! The 12 hours awake and 12 hours of sleep was debunked years ago! We now know that it's not the number of hours of sleep that make the difference, it's the number of hours of daylight and that can only be 'registered' by their bodies if they are exposed to dawn and dusk because it's the special light of twilight that 'turns on' or 'off' their internal clock [meaning, just covering and uncovering the cage doesn't do it for them]. They need to be kept at a strict solar schedule or their endocrine system [the one that makes them produce or not sexual hormones] gets out of whack. I suggest you do research yourself on anything related to behavior and diet [start with 'avian photoperiodism'] instead of asking your vet because, in truth, asking them about these things is not fair as they don't study them at all.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby BarbaraV » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:14 pm

Thanks a lot Pajarita!!!
I'll do my research.
BarbaraV
Parakeet

Return to General Parrot Care