Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Max number of birds?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Max number of birds?

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:24 am

What is the maximum number of birds someone should have? What are the factors that determine this limit? How do they vary for different people? What is your personal max? What is that based on? What factors could alter your limit and how? What would you do if some of these factors turned the other way putting you over your max limit with the current number of birds you have? What is it that makes people want to have many birds?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Max number of birds?

Postby Natacha » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:46 am

Michael wrote:What is the maximum number of birds someone should have?

It depends on the people. Some people do well with a lot of them (10 and over), some people shouldn't have any period.

Michael wrote:What are the factors that determine this limit?

Some of the main ones I can think of:

-Finances: very important. You must be able to afford each and every bird you have, from the initial cost of purchase/cage/food/toys to having necessary funds for regular vet check-ups and emergency vet visit. You should not have more birds that you can realistically afford.

-Time: more birds = more of your time. More time to be able to give each of them one-on-one personal time, more time cleaning, more time preparing food, more chances of going to the vet, etc.

-Space: having proper space to have each bird in a proper sized cage. Downsizing cages just to be able to have more birds isn't reasonable. You also need space to provide different playing areas. And you certainly don't want to feel too crowded.

-What you can handle personally: you have the finances, time and space but you can't, for any personal reasons, handle another bird? Then don't get one. Some people reach their limits but think they can add and turns out, it was one too many. You need to see if YOU can really do it.

-Tolerance to noise: even with birds that aren't known to be noisy, noise will go up, at least a bit, since the birds might flock call between them.

-Your spouse/significant other doesn't want anymore: a relationship is based on trust and compromises; if your SO tells you that he doesn't want another bird, then don't get another bird. If they are good enough to have put up with your passion up to this point and aren't complaining and don't want another one added to the flock, why do it and risk putting tension in the relationship?

Michael wrote:How do they vary for different people?

Well see above; not all these elements play the same way for each individual.
Oh and some people just shouldn't have birds because even if the information is out there, they don't pay attention on how to properly care for pets.

Michael wrote:What is your personal max?

Don't know....each time I add a bird, I wait to add another (had a bit more than a year between Piper and Shade, two years-is between Shade and Joey, 5-6 months between Joey and Petey, 5-6 months between Petey and Zuri). I make sure I know I can handle another bird before getting a new one. At this point, I know I'll be able to have another one, but I am in no rush to get it. I know my limit is drawing close so I want to find the right bird.

Michael wrote:What is that based on?

What I can handle which is based on how I find living with my actual birds.

Michael wrote:What factors could alter your limit and how?

Me winning the big jackpot lottery and not having to care for money ever again and getting a big huge place where I could physically fit more birds without crowding them and having all day to provide them with the care they need..

Michael wrote:What would you do if some of these factors turned the other way putting you over your max limit with the current number of birds you have?

As much as I don't want to, if I couldn't provide proper care for all my birds anymore I would a) try to find a foster home until I can fix whatever changed to make this happen b) find a new loving and caring home who can provide all they need for some of them.

Michael wrote:What is it that makes people want to have many birds?

Birds are addictive... ;)
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Kathleen » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:09 am

I think many parrot owners suffer from Parrot Addiction Syndrome! :P
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby jackbency » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:23 pm

Hi Natacha.
That's very true. Birds are very addictive, specially parrots owner are suffering from birds addictive. You have a such a lovey birds so i think you are caring to them like they are your child. I like your Piper bird and i willing to know chemistry between you and Piper so Tell me about that.
Thank you very much.
R4 Games
jackbency
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Postby Cozzy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:43 pm

Kathleen wrote:I think many parrot owners suffer from Parrot Addiction Syndrome! :P

Very ture!!!
Most of the members of my local parrot group have at least 5 parrots, some memebers have more then 10, and the most extreme member has 40 parrots, he owns a home bussiness.
Cozzy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Budgie
cape

Postby Kathleen » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:23 pm

With 40 parrots...... how do they have time for anything else??? LOL :mrgreen:
Kathleen
Amazon