Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How often to trim nails/talons?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

How often to trim nails/talons?

Postby GreenWing » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:31 pm

It seems I get Tiki's trimmed about once a month... is this the norm? When her nails/talons become long (and sharp), I'll get little cuts on my hands that also irritates my skin into an allergic reaction of sorts. So, if I consistently keep her nails trim, I avoid this...

How often do you trim your parrot's nails/talons?
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Re: How often to trim nails/talons?

Postby marie83 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:10 pm

Harlies never ever need trimming. Ollies need trimming every few weeks but this is only a recent thing, they never used to need either:-\
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby GreenWing » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:47 pm

How do you do that, Marie? With Harlie, and not needing to trim much
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby Michael » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:00 pm

3:06-3:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eetr5mSGA04

I cut them as needed but apparently Pois tend to have sharper talons that need frequent trimming. I can attest to that as Truman left a deep hole in my finger after pressing his talon into it while hanging off.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Grey_Moon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:44 pm

Honestly I think it depends on the particular bird and the environment in which the bird lives.

Jacko for example, being a former rescue bird with severely overgrown nails gets her nails done every 2 months to help the quick in the nail recede so the nail can be trimmed back to an appropriate and healthy length.

Depending on her nutritional/immune/body status when they finally are at an appropriate length she may get them done less often.
If her nails are growing quickly then she will continue to have her feet done every 2 months.

As long as the bird is confident, healthy and with strong feet the how/when of trimming to achieve appropriate length toenails (that do not lift the end of the toe off a flat surface) depends on the bird.
:gray: ---Jacko (13 year old TAG rescue and my little turkey-bird girl :) )

"Love me, Love my parrots"
Grey_Moon
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Hen Timneh Grey

Postby GreenWing » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:32 am

Michael wrote:3:06-3:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eetr5mSGA04

I cut them as needed but apparently Pois tend to have sharper talons that need frequent trimming. I can attest to that as Truman left a deep hole in my finger after pressing his talon into it while hanging off.

Hah! Truman's "Rawr! Rawr!" is so cute! I also loved how he shook as the vet tech set him back down :mrgreen: Although I am suprised they didn't use a towel while they handled Kili and Truman?

And thanks... I'm with you on the "as needed" trimmings... I take Tiki to Portland's Bird Hut for them... they're really inexpensive and always do a superb job.

Grey_Moon wrote:Honestly I think it depends on the particular bird and the environment in which the bird lives.

Jacko for example, being a former rescue bird with severely overgrown nails gets her nails done every 2 months to help the quick in the nail recede so the nail can be trimmed back to an appropriate and healthy length.

Depending on her nutritional/immune/body status when they finally are at an appropriate length she may get them done less often.
If her nails are growing quickly then she will continue to have her feet done every 2 months.

As long as the bird is confident, healthy and with strong feet the how/when of trimming to achieve appropriate length toenails (that do not lift the end of the toe off a flat surface) depends on the bird.

Thanks Grey_Moon, that sounds about right. :)
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby marie83 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:13 am

To be honest Ollie is the only bird I've had to cut the nails of more than once- the exception being the rosella which had the same problem as Grey_moons bird Jacko.

I think most of the battle is getting the right sized and type of perches. Have to say Harlies claws are like pins though, I end up with scratches every single time, if she was any heavier I would have to take the ends off like michael does to avoid getting holes in my hands-the scratches can be painful enough lol.

My current vet doesn't towel birds either, my last one did though. He wrapped Ollie up so thickly theres no way he could examine him properly, I had to wonder, I have small birds not macaws -but this bird vet was so scared of getting bitten by him. Its part of the reason I moved vets btw.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Polarn » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:35 am

I've had to clip Polarns nails once in a year... and well wasn't really needed since they were by no means overgrown but I thought them beginning to become sharp so I decided to clip the tip off to smoothem them a bit... Gilas little nails is misshaped so they doesnt really get much of a natural wear and are clipped wery frequesntly to get em short enough to hopefully start growing straight rather than in circles locking emselves together as they were when I picked her up. the small buggers needs their nails trimmed every now and then but its like once or twice a year and more so because their becoming sharp than anything else...

Also about the toweling of birds, my current vet asks if the bird is tame and if he/she is used to strangers, if it is then she wont use a towel, another option is you helping out by holding it if he/she doesnt take to the vet all that well. or if it is an aviary bird there isn't really any substitute for a towel...
Polarn
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw

Postby Michael » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:34 am

GreenWing wrote:Although I am suprised they didn't use a towel while they handled Kili and Truman?

After the bad experience they gave him in a towel the last time, I told them no more towels. Really there is NO NEED for a towel. My birds are much more comfortable just being held and being able to see what's going on. If held properly, they can't bite. And they're not really trying to. They're just a little pissed about the situation. But as you see when they let go of them, they're fine and not like having a panic attack.

I would suggest moving away from using towels and groomers for savy parrot owners. I think it is so much less stressful, more gentle, more rewarding (give treats, scratches in the process), and SAFER when you do it yourself. Groomers tend to be rough, quick, forceful, and might not listen and trim the wings when you told them not to (or forgot to tell). Besides all of the above reasons, my biggest fear is a groomer trying to clip my parrots so I only do it myself. Since I was already paying crazy money for a vet visit, I figured I'd let them earn in by grooming the birds while we were there anyway. Otherwise I don't trust anyone else to do it.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby GreenWing » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:00 pm

Michael wrote: After the bad experience they gave him in a towel the last time, I told them no more towels. Really there is NO NEED for a towel. My birds are much more comfortable just being held and being able to see what's going on. If held properly, they can't bite. And they're not really trying to. They're just a little pissed about the situation. But as you see when they let go of them, they're fine and not like having a panic attack.

I would suggest moving away from using towels and groomers for savy parrot owners. I think it is so much less stressful, more gentle, more rewarding (give treats, scratches in the process), and SAFER when you do it yourself. Groomers tend to be rough, quick, forceful, and might not listen and trim the wings when you told them not to (or forgot to tell). Besides all of the above reasons, my biggest fear is a groomer trying to clip my parrots so I only do it myself. Since I was already paying crazy money for a vet visit, I figured I'd let them earn in by grooming the birds while we were there anyway. Otherwise I don't trust anyone else to do it.

Awesome. :thumbsup: I would like to start the trimmings myself... a little lesson in this would put me in the right direction. Anyone willing? :mrgreen:
GreenWing
African Grey

Return to General Parrot Care