Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bird Diapers..?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Bird Diapers..?

Postby Sallynoobasaur » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:36 am

My Spike has a Flight suit (don't kill me ><).

We use it for taming purposes and around people who don't want to get pooped on. They're very useful as my conure has his wings clipped and hence cannot fly to his perch. Also he is like a human, he watches t.v, eats, talks to us, walks around the house and always wants to meet the people that come over.
He prefers to sit on the couch to watch t.v or groom us and in this case, a diaper is of great use to having a little people bird going around. He never quite got the hang of the poop command so in this case it's win win. He doesn't mind it either as I don't have to go running back and forward with him and no more cleaning my couch.

That's just my oppinion and it is really helpful in my household.
Sallynoobasaur
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Postby MandyG » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:20 am

Sallynoobasaur wrote:My Spike has a Flight suit (don't kill me ><).

And it really works for you? Does the poop get on Spike at all? I've never actually seen them on a parrot, just online.

I've thought about getting them before. I thought it would be helpful for when I'm at other people's houses and in the car, etc. I know there's ways around needing one like carrying around handy wipes and putting sheets on your car seats, but it would be a lot more convenient to just have a diaper.

I should actually get one soon, he comes for pictures with Santa with the dogs (a fundraiser we run for our animal rescue). Wouldn't want him to poop on Santa ;) .
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon
Flight: Yes

Postby Sallynoobasaur » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:18 am

No he doesn't get poop on him. It's a suite that goes on and velcros on his back. There is no restraint as his wings and feet are free.
Where he poops is a pouch that you can put some tissue or as I prefer, makeup pads.
They just fall in and it doesn't rub onto him.

I have a picture though it's not really great of Spike wearing his. It's got skulls :P

Sallynoobasaur
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Postby tacotaco » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:06 pm

i actually have a few of these. (don't kill me either!) I bought a few right before halloween. they actually work great. my bird is potty trained...however, for example, i brought him with me on thanksgiving and there were a nice amount of people around. i like to put it on because i would feel bad if he accidentally pooped on someones nice shirt~ when theres a lot of people around you never know when they might slip one out!
anyway, the poop doesn't get on them at all and i don't have to fight my bird to get it on. his first one, i left by the cage for a few days - i then let him play with it without actually putting it on him. a few days of that i put it on him with no problems at all! they have great santa ones and different materials for the holidays (that is the only time i use them.) i attached a picture for viewing of his halloween one (i was a pirate with the eye patch and all and he stayed with me on my shoulder)
Attachments
Photo 20.jpg
Photo 20.jpg (74.88 KiB) Viewed 8148 times
IMG_1703.JPG
IMG_1703.JPG (67.7 KiB) Viewed 8148 times
Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Allegra ~ Gold Capped Conure
Willow ~ Blue fronted Amazon
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
Our Blog ~ http://www.lifeistemp.blogspot.com
Our YouTube~ http://www.youtube.com/user/icanpwnUn00b?feature=mhum]
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conures (2), Gold Capped Conure, Blue fronted Amazon

Postby Michael » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:35 pm

So you're only using it as a diaper and not as a flight restraint?

What I usually do is only pass my parrot around just after she pooped. This way I know she will be good for at least 10 minutes :D

Luckily because Kili is flighted she usually flies off to her perch and poops there rather than on someone! She doesn't use her climbing tree for much besides as a toilet lately but I don't mind cause I just change the newspapers. I never really taught her to poop from her tree but she just got used to pooping there a lot from when she was clipped so now she usually just flies there to poop. This is about as close to a toilet trained bird you can have. Now if only she'd learn to wipe too... :lol:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Kathleen » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:04 pm

Don't worry lol, we won't kill you. I think it's okay as long as it's not harming your bird and they get accustomed to wearing it. :thumbsup:
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby triplebbirds » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:06 am

Ok im kinda pro flight suit but i also have kids that like to open the door and not pay attention to where they are and where animals are. Also this is the first clutch of birds that will be flight suit trained. I dont trust a wing clip going outdoors with them. Sorry i have had some really strong fliers and im afraid of loosing one of my fids. Ok now to the clothing or wearing your dog issue. I have boxers. there is no way i am going to put them in a purse and sneak them into wally world. Now holoween yeah they get dressed up. Stupid funny pics, occasionally but when it bugs them then its time to stop.
triplebbirds
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 20
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Postby tacotaco » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:23 pm

gettin ready for the big man
Attachments
Photo 21.jpg
Photo 21.jpg (119.7 KiB) Viewed 8127 times
Photo 19.jpg
Photo 19.jpg (129.95 KiB) Viewed 8127 times
Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conures (2), Gold Capped Conure, Blue fronted Amazon

Postby MandyG » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:30 am

Aww Kim, Charlie is adorable! He must be really well behaved to let you put the hat on!
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby tacotaco » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:05 pm

lol ~ yeah he really is a good boy! he's my 3rd bird and i can't believe his behavior compared to the others I've had, he has so must trust in me (the poor thing!) haha kidding, but yeah he lets me put everything on and he's fine with it. of course if he was uncomfortable i wouldnt force it - in this case i was just trying it on him before i let him wear it on christmas eve :)
Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
tacotaco
Poicephalus

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care