Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How do you...?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

How do you...?

Postby trueloveway » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:01 am

...grieve your parrot? I just lost my parrot Jack. How it happened I don't really think it matters, the fact is that it was sudden and unexpected. Something scared him yesterday and he ran for it. I live in a big nieghboring area near a large city and realistically I don't think he will be found or returned to me. What I want to know is the best way to get through this. I've cried on and off for the past 24 hours. I think my family and best friend are sick of me talking about Jack but I'm so heartbroken that I don't know what to do with myself. Please if anyone has advice it is welcome. Thanks
When we love, we are courageous; and courage has nothing to do with being fearless, its about being willing to experience fear, even dread, to do what we must, without guarantee of outcome. - Vanna Bonta
trueloveway
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parrotlet
Flight: Yes

Re: How do you...?

Postby pennyandrocky » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:09 am

have you put up fliers or posted online? he could still be found. rescues put up pictures of lost birds and you could try craigslist if somone found him they might try to sell him. a friend of a friend just recovered her goffin 2 days ago after he was stolen out of her house last summer.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby marie83 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:23 am

you are more likely to recover your bird in a populated area.
I heard stories of parrots coming home months after an escape but those stories were from people who put in alot of effort to get the work out.

-contact john hayward from parrots magazine, he has an international lost and found register.
- put up posters everywhere you can, give them to family and friends so they can put them up as they are travelling around.
-contact all rescues, sancturies, police stations, vets, pet shops and other shops in the area and ask them to tell everyone they can
-offer a reward, you dont have to say how much if you can only afford a small amount.
-remember birds can fly miles
-ask everyone you see in the street (as long as it doesn't compromise your safety), word of mouth will go a long way to helping
- ask newsagents if they are willing to put a leaflet in with their newspaper deliveries
-get the story on the radio or in the newspapers if you can, bear in mind they get alot of missing pet stories every day so this might be hard to do, think if there is something unique about the situation you can use to increase the chance of being published.
-put adverts in the newspapers/websites that have a section for advertisement.

Lastly dont ever give up on getting your bird back.
Last edited by marie83 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Michael » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:05 am

trueloveway wrote:...grieve your parrot? I just lost my parrot Jack. How it happened I don't really think it matters, the fact is that it was sudden and unexpected.

Actually it does matter. Stop grieving and get out there and start looking. It is your responsibility as an owner. Providing details here like where, how, when, why you lost the bird may help people come up with better suggestions for how to locate it. And it may help prevent someone else from making the same mistake. Sitting around crying about it won't solve anything. That's what you do when you did everything you could for a bird and it passed away in its cage.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby trueloveway » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:26 pm

:cry: Just a quick update. I'm heartbroken to say that Jack is passed on. He got hit by a car. Not sure when but I found his body the other day.RIP Jack
When we love, we are courageous; and courage has nothing to do with being fearless, its about being willing to experience fear, even dread, to do what we must, without guarantee of outcome. - Vanna Bonta
trueloveway
Lovebird

Postby Michael » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:24 pm

Very sorry to hear about your loss. Could you fill us in on the details of how this occurred so that hopefully it could prevent others from having the same happen.
Michael
Macaw

Postby trueloveway » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:51 am

Mistake number 1 on my part, I held the backdoor open as I was letting my dogs in. I guess some noise or something scared Jack and he literally bolted and flew out the door. He wasn't clipped so he could fly, even if it wasn't for very long. After he was outside he flew onto a neighbor's fence, and I waited for maybe half a second before I approached him. I guess he was still freaked out because even as he saw me he still flew to the other side of the fence. In the past when there were situations like this he would wait for me to come get him but this was different which made it somewhat wierd.

Anyways Jack flew across my yard to another neighbor's fence. I really didn't know what to do except try to go to him and calm him down but he wasnt having any of it. But instead of running up to him and grabbing him I called his name and hoped my voice would do...something. Anything. The last time I saw him was when he looked at me screeched and flew away. I put up a post on craigslist but no one found him. I spent hours on end looking for him outside.

After a few days I went outside again and found his little body. he was on his back and had obviously been run over. Was there anything I could have done differently? I don't want another parrot at the moment, but I can always learn from this right?
trueloveway
Lovebird

Postby Michael » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:55 am

I wrote this a few days earlier but went ahead and posted it now after I read your post:

http://TrainedParrot.com/Flight_Safety

Nothing can bring your parrot back now but hopefully you will feel better that others may learn and avoid this mistake happening to multiple other parrots. Thanks for your input.
Michael
Macaw

Postby trueloveway » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:56 pm

Thats a great article michael as usual. I miss my parrot a lot and hope nothing like this ever happens to anyone else. the way i lost him was so sudden
trueloveway
Lovebird

Postby marie83 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:04 am

Sorry you couldn't retrieve your bird safely :(
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure