Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

DIY Bird Toys - What Materials Are Safe?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

DIY Bird Toys - What Materials Are Safe?

Postby Georginia » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:21 pm

After spotting a bird toy at Walmart earlier today that is supposedly toxic and unsafe for parrots, I've been considering making my own bird toys. Recently I stopped by PetSmart and bought a lot of toys for my Budgies, but after seeing the same dangerous toy I mentioned above there as well, I think I'm going to toss my recently bought toys out as well. Anyways, I found a website that has a variety of bird toy parts available, and they all look safe to me, but I'm no bird toy expert, so I was just wondering if anyone has had any bad experiences with the parts sold here: http: http://makeyourownbirdtoys.com/

Or does it look unsafe?
I currently have two male Budgies, whom I love very much! I hope to soon expand my bird family and adopt more loving feathered friends into my home!
Georginia
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies/Parakeets
Flight: Yes

Re: DIY Bird Toys - What Materials Are Safe?

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:40 am

In my personal experience, there is nothing a budgie likes more than a nice kabob to chew on. They absolutely adore dry yucca! It's inexpensive and all you have to do is hang it from the top of the cage. In case you don't know what I'm talking about, this is it: http://www.birdkabob.com/ (I am going to be getting the Ole this Saturday for my budgies).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GreenWing » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:03 pm

This is great! I'm into crochet and would like to crochet some of the materials allowed to make some bird toys. Also, include some recycled toys Chance has destroyed.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:55 am

Be careful not to make the 'holes' so small that they claws, toes, feet or beak can get stuck in them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird Lover123 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:04 pm

Safe things are pretty much anything is safe. the things that are not safe is... Zinc, soft wood, or nickle. Tip: Never buy bird toys from china! They make bird toys out of soft wood and zinc all the time!
Hope this helped! :gcc:
Bird Lover123
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek

Postby rosshunt » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:41 pm

Hi everyone, keep sharing your improvement with us. I am pleased by reading this informative post. Pet birds need entertainment when you are not there and bird toys are the solution. Make your own bird toys to save you money and ensure that your bird is protected from non-safe materials. Discover how to make swings, foraging toy, and ladders, ideal for all types of birds, such as parrots, cockatiels, and budgies. Thank you so much for sharing this information.
rosshunt
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Sparrow
Flight: No

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY