Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rockadoo toy friend for my parrot Margie

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Rockadoo toy friend for my parrot Margie

Postby Desma » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:17 pm

When I got Margie, she was used to being in a cage beside her mother and father. She is a juvenile Amazon parrot. To help her feel not so alone, I got a Furreal Rockadoo parrot and she seems to really love it. I am wondering if this was a good idea because when the toy stops, she screams to have it activated again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QyeClqwuns
Desma
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue front Amazon
Flight: No

Re: Rockadoo toy friend for my parrot Margie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:27 am

Welcome to the forum, Desma and Margie! Why don't you try weaning her off it by taking her out of her cage whenever she screams for the toy? Because I would assume that you want her to bond with you and not with the toy, right?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Desma » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:54 am

I totally agree. I do take her out of the cage and snuggle her close to me. She used to complain about my doing that but now she seems to not put up such a fuss. She lets me shower her and blow dry her too. She loves being blow dried. I also got her a bunch of neat colored wooden blocks to chew on. I found out that she learned to sing opera from being besides her mother. She also picked up phrases from her first home like, "stop your lying, haa haa haa", "fine" "hello" She also sounds like she says "dorky bird".
Desma
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:07 am

Yes, all amazons sing opera - I have no idea why but they all do! :lol: Now, in my personal experience, amazons don't like cuddling much. They love to ride your shoulder for hours and even nap there as well as preening your hair and, sometimes, your cheeks and neck but I've never had a single one that liked its body touched unless the bird was hormonal. And, please, do NOT blow-dry her after a bath. It's best to leave them wet so they can preen properly which is one of the reasons why bathing plucking birds is always recommended. If you dry her feathers, you are not allowing a natural and healthy behavior to take place. And, unless you are using completely cold air [which I doubt], you are stripping her skin and plumage of the natural oils [warm water and warm air does that]. Please remember that parrots are not babies or even domesticated animals, they are wild animals that were tricked into imprinting to people so their physical and emotional needs are identical to the wild ones and, because of that, it's always best to follow Mother Nature guidance. This means cold or room temperature bath water, in the morning [so the bird will be completely dry before it goes to roost] and in a warm room and no blow drying.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Desma » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:16 am

If it is very cold and only about 65 in the house during the winter, maybe I should not shower her? She may get chilled wouldn't she?
Desma
Parrotlet

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY