Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

WARNING ON FABRICS (inc. rope perches, snuggle tents, etc)

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: WARNING ON FABRICS (inc. rope perches, snuggle tents, etc)

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:26 am

Liz, we all learn from one another. We have learned from your insights just as much as you have learned from ours. That's the main purpose of a forum, for people to share their experiences and knowledge so we can all learn.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby seagoatdeb » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:55 pm

Anything in our houses can be dangerous to parrots, but you have to especially watch the ones like snuggle tents where you have to look deep inside to see if they are fraying and leaving a place where a parrot can get it toe or neck caught. With all rope perches, you have to inspect them often and discard them when they start fraying. You have to check any metal parts that attach toys and make sure they do not contain zinc or lead. If the toys are made in China, they may have lead in the colurs they used to dye things.

I avoid using anything containing glue when i make toys, I use flour and water to make my own glue myself. The only commercial glue i trust is Elmers glues that are safe for children and non toxic, and i use them where the parrots arent likely to ever get to when i need a stronger glue. i dont trust printed paper, because you dont know what is in the ink, so if i want to add colour to products i dye them myself with cake icing dyes.

I am always checking all my toys, and make most of my own as safe as I can, but the most dangerous thing that happened was not from a toy. Gaugan spooked at something outside and got caught in the cords for my window blinds. She flapped a lot before i could get there and she was really tangled up. it took me at least 20 minutes to untangle her, her wings where all wrapped up and she patiently waited for me to untangle her. She was not injured thankfully, and I cut all the cords really short. My husband is still peeved about it....lol.....but she wont be getting tangled again.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby InsanityShard » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:58 pm

Would putting a thick sheet down over my top bunk and tucking it in really tightly, tying it around the bars underneath, be enough to stop my parrot getting at my teddy bears? And would Incense being in the room (Not for them to chew on, but burning in a covered childproof burner on a shelf next to the window) be safe? My carpet smells like dog pee since my dog got in and peed 13 times on my carpet before we finally put the pet gate back, and two odor removers and eucalyptis oil wasn't enough to get rid of the smell.
InsanityShard
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Budgie

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:38 pm

That should be enough to keep a parrot out, but Incense is not safe for parrots at all.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby Wolf » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:39 pm

The incense is not good for the birds to breathe, it could kill them. A birds respiratoy system is at least 20 times more sensitive to airborne particles and fumes than ours, and because the air it breathes in must pass through not only its one lung but also through the various air sacs in its body it takes it two breaths before the air it inhales is exhaled. Because of this I don't use either incense or scented candles anymore, and I love incense.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:55 pm

I will have to add to not have parrots around any aerosol sprays, of perfumes or deodorants for the same reason as Wolf said.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby InsanityShard » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:04 pm

That's fine, nothing gets sprayed in my room with the fish tanks anyway (They have lids, don't worry, the bird won't get betting in) As for the incense, I suspected that might be the case, part of why I suggested having it right next to the window. Still, no workaround on things like that. I'll try dousing my entire carpet in more eucalyptis oil then, I really can't get that awful smell off.
InsanityShard
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Budgie

Postby seagoatdeb » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:53 pm

InsanityShard wrote:That's fine, nothing gets sprayed in my room with the fish tanks anyway (They have lids, don't worry, the bird won't get betting in) As for the incense, I suspected that might be the case, part of why I suggested having it right next to the window. Still, no workaround on things like that. I'll try dousing my entire carpet in more eucalyptis oil then, I really can't get that awful smell off.

i am only giving you common sense here and have seen no information that proves it, but although Parrots are okay with Eucalyptus trees, the essential oil is so much more potent, and it is airborn, so it gives me pause. baking soda is safe as long as you dont get powder in the air when you use it and if you let it sit on your carpet and then vacuum it up, it will help with the bad smell.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:46 am

Yes, I agree with Seagoatdeb, eucalyptus oil is quite potent so I would not really use it. There are specially formulated enzymatic cleaners for dog and cat pee and poop. They remove the smell as well as the stains (and I know this for a fact because I have cats and dogs and there have been lots and lots and lots of accidents on my carpets and rugs). They even sell carpet shampoos that have these special enzymes in them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:19 pm

I have a safe natural non scented enzyme paste that gets mixed with water and will clean anything, you can even use it as a carpet shampoo. It will take out most smells, but if I need more I sprinkle baking soda vacuum it up, and it takes everything out. I have never had a smell I cant get rid of.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

PreviousNext

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY