Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

WARNING ON FABRICS (inc. rope perches, snuggle tents, etc)

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: WARNING ON FABRICS (inc. rope perches, snuggle tents, etc)

Postby janetafloat » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:13 am

I'm so sorry for your loss and thank you for sharing that with us. I took the rope perch from Alfie's cage when I read the original post and now have it on his play stand where I can observe him.
janetafloat
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Flight: Yes

Postby marie83 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:34 am

Nir wrote:i think every bird person has a rope or string of some sort. honestly we just have to be better at observing if they are digesting it or not. If we start taking those out then we might as well give them no toys at all of any sort since there are dangers with anything they play with.

The thing is you would never be able to tell, its not like these birds have been ripping long threads off and swallowing them, if they were it wouldn't take years to build an impaction. Its little bits that get in the mouth and accidently swallowed over a period of time that causes the issue. In my opinion ropes are not fit to be left in cages but there's no need to deprive the bird of rope or fabric toys, use them outside of the cage when your present so you can intervene if they are chewing them up. Of course not everyone will see as much danger as I do with certain toys and others will see more danger than I see, some people will never have a problem, other people will so its swings and roundabouts really.
You are also right in that everything has a risk no matter how small. My peach front hung himself on a chain link that had split despite me regularly safety checking it. I found him whilst he was still alive but he was severely weakened and died soon after. Despite that I still let my birds have certain types of chain but I will never allow rope in the cage now as I think that is higher risk even though I've never personally have a problem with it.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Rhandy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:05 am

New to the forum and this is the first item I've read. My Senegal has been chewing ferociously on his perch and toys and I did get him a rope to chew and he is making mincemeat of it. I think it is a summer mating problem but he just bit the heck out of my lip the other day and proceeded to attack me as I cried and screamed. I will be pulling out the rope and fibers now but I am also scared to death to let him out again.
Rhandy
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Cockatiel

Postby JaydeParrot » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:16 pm

I was wondering, I have a small rope perch which I only use for getting my Sennies to step up from their cage or my shoulder, their never left alone with it so they don't really get the chance to chew it, do you think this is ok or at least a lower level of danger to them?

Also, in DIY shops it's possible to buy a plasticy kind of rope (don't know the name for it but it's usually orange or blue) does anyone think the plasticy ropes would be a good substitute for fabric ropes?
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.

Postby marie83 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:08 pm

JaydeParrot wrote:I was wondering, I have a small rope perch which I only use for getting my Sennies to step up from their cage or my shoulder, their never left alone with it so they don't really get the chance to chew it, do you think this is ok or at least a lower level of danger to them?

Also, in DIY shops it's possible to buy a plasticy kind of rope (don't know the name for it but it's usually orange or blue) does anyone think the plasticy ropes would be a good substitute for fabric ropes?

I honestly wouldn't worry if that's the sole purpose of the rope perches .
marie83
Cockatoo

Postby CSLFiero » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:11 am

everyone must use there best judgment and observe closely the consequences of their choices. One of my wife's budgies loved to shred and chew and loved to eat fibers and it did nearly kill him it made him so sick.. At the time she literally spent everything she had on vet care. She was a non working college student. But we're using a cotton perch in our jardines cage now because it has a larger digestive tract, no history of getting sick on fibers, and a long established acceptance of natural fiber in parrot habitats in both zoos and pet industry. As of yet it hasn't acquired much of a taste for it. Loves to comb through our hair though.
CSLFiero
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Jardine's

Postby Rebellious » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:43 pm

My cockatoo and my Senegals all have flexi-rope perches. Reading the article was scary, but I am not too worried because I check my birds' cages often for any wear-and-tear and things seem to be fine! None of my parrots use Happy Huts even though I think they are so cute...but I'm glad they don't now.
:senegal: Sissy
:senegal: Sammi
:cockatoo: Rebel
Rebellious
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrots, Sulfur Crested cockatoo

Postby spiral71 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:23 am

marie83 wrote:Thats scary, thanks for the info. I don't allow rope in the birds cages but Ollie does have a happy hut.

hows your little GC now?

what about sisal rope surely thats safe?
spiral71
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: female indian ringneck 5 to 6 years old

Postby marie83 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:57 pm

Sisal does break easily but whether my little birds have the strength to break it I don't know. I would definitely use it for a larger/stronger bird though with confidence that if they should get stuck they could free themselves. No idea about the safety of ingesting the fibres though to be honest, some things you have to take a chance on otherwise you would deprive your pets of everything.
Ollie has his happy hut back and is a lot happier with in than without it, though if I ever saw him actively chewing on it I would probably remove it again.
marie83
Cockatoo

Postby rebcart » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:41 pm

Just a reminder to everyone of the deadliness of Happy Huts, rope perches etc.

This photo was recently posted on Facebook of extraction of a Happy Hut-sourced fibrous mass blocking a poor little lovebird's crop. (The surgery was successful and the bird is now recovering.)

Mild gore warning

Do you have an avian vet skilled enough to recognise the problem and perform a surgery like this in the nick of time when the food is no longer getting through? If you or anyone you know is still using a snuggle tent, please reconsider, for the sake of your feathered friend! They don't know it's bad for them!
rebcart
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: GCC

PreviousNext

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY