Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

WARNING ON FABRICS (inc. rope perches, snuggle tents, etc)

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: WARNING ON FABRICS (inc. rope perches, snuggle tents, etc)

Postby shonie777 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:02 pm

What about leather strips? Is leather ok to use as an alternative to ropes? If leather is ok I have another question. Most leather is commercially tanned with chemicals, so is commercially tanned leather strips safe? Or would it be better to use brain tanned leather instead? Brain tanned leather is the old fashion way of tanning leather with the brains of the animal. Yes, I know it sounds gross but brain tanned leather contains no chemicals what so ever. It's also much more expensive than commercially tanned leather.

Thanks,
Shonie
shonie777
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ring Necks and a Lilac Crowned Amazon
Flight: Yes

Postby Desire Mercy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:47 am

shonie777 wrote:What about leather strips? Is leather ok to use as an alternative to ropes? If leather is ok I have another question. Most leather is commercially tanned with chemicals, so is commercially tanned leather strips safe? Or would it be better to use brain tanned leather instead? Brain tanned leather is the old fashion way of tanning leather with the brains of the animal. Yes, I know it sounds gross but brain tanned leather contains no chemicals what so ever. It's also much more expensive than commercially tanned leather.

Thanks,
Shonie

I've heard that you want VEGETABLE-tanned leather only.
Desire Mercy
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrots

Postby Pajarita » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:50 pm

Yep, veggie tanned leather is the way to go with birds.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Kaiit » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:19 pm

I didn't realise rope toys were such a problem as they're so widely available on the market. My parrot plays with chuff all, perhaps luckily, so I've never bought him anything. We had, however, removed all of the rope from the toys that the budgies' have in the pet shop (where I work) because we found one of them hanging itself by the neck and unable to break free, one morning after opening! It's just lucky that the accident happened so close to when we check on them; if it had happened earlier in the day the poor thing would have been strangled :<
Kaiit
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red-lored Amazon.

Postby Maria » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:46 am

So does this mean that some of the stringing materials we use, and which are commonly used for the making of bird toys, are UN-safe; and we should no longer use them?

Like supreme cotton rope?

Is sisal safe?

What about leather laces?

And what about Hemp rope?

And what about Paulie rope?
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Headed Amazon
Flight: No

Postby Maria » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:16 pm

Are you sure your vet said specifically “supreme cotton rope”? Or are you meaning only the kind of rope which those boeing perches are made with?

Because supreme cotton rope is biodegradable, meaning it breaks down; and it is also easily digestible. It is the only kind of cotton rope we are taught which is bird safe, really.

The rope which the boeing perches are made with is not supreme cotton rope.

Also, what about jute? Are you indicating that jute would not be safe also?
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Headed Amazon
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:03 am

Well, just because something is biodegradable, it doesn't make it safe to eat. I understand that the difference between supreme cotton rope and other ropes is in the actual thread size, the weaving and the fact that's is not polished (whatever that means).

Jute and sisal are fine as long as they are not treated. I would never use leather (it's undigestible).

But, having said that, birds crop can get impacted with stuff that is digestible and biodegradable. I know of a parakeet that died because he had this habit of chewing (and swallowing) paper.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Calthesa » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:49 pm

Pajarita wrote:the fact that's is not polished (whatever that means).

Polished cotton is cotton thats has been weaved together with satin to produce shiny, but still cheap and strong, rope or chemically treated, usually with resin, after weaving to give it a shiny finish. Both kinds are bad for birds since they will be chewing and playing on them.
Calthesa
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Red Bellied Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:35 am

Thank you for the explanation!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby rebcart » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:15 am

Maria - the vet told me fabric in general, of which the most common is cotton. I assume supreme cotton is included in that list. Here's their website. I will be taking my bird for her yearly checkup soon and am happy to ask them for clarification about it.

I would think jute has a lower chance of impaction, due to the typically longer, stiffer fibres being harder to pull apart and inadvertently swallow, but I'm happy to ask about that too!
rebcart
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: GCC

PreviousNext

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY