Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Toy Dye

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Toy Dye

Postby healthyaddict » Sun May 19, 2013 1:44 pm

So now that Doctor is back to health, he's chewing up everything. Which is good. However, I've started to notice that his nares are bright green from a toy he's been chewing on.

Though I've removed the toy for the time being, do you think it's safe for him to play with? It's pretty much his favorite thing. It's one of those chewy paper-like ropes you buy at the store, but I worry that he might be breathing in too much dye and that it could cause problems.

Thoughts? Anyone dealt with this before?
healthyaddict
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Toy Dye

Postby marie83 » Mon May 20, 2013 7:42 am

I couldn't say what the dye is or whether its safe or not but if your worried about chemicals etc the safest way is to dye the toys yourself with homemade vegetable dye. Trouble is then the concern turns to it taking on the vegetables flavour....
Tasteless food dyes are said to be safe though but too many chemicals in for my liking to bother making my own toys that way.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Eric&Rebecca » Mon May 20, 2013 11:29 am

Here is some information on safe toys for future reference. If its colouring him i'd remove it and make them yourself or find a bird toy store like this one that provides natural products....

http://www.naturalbirdco.co.uk/parrottoysafety.html
Eric&Rebecca
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Cockatiel
Spectacled Parrotlet

Postby Elaihr » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:14 am

Eric&Rebecca wrote:Here is some information on safe toys for future reference. If its colouring him i'd remove it and make them yourself or find a bird toy store like this one that provides natural products....

http://www.naturalbirdco.co.uk/parrottoysafety.html

Aaaaah, I wish there was a shop like this one in Sweden! I've been looking around for ages for toy making parts, especially those that are made from stainless steel, but I haven't been able to find them anywhere. It would be so much fun to make more of my own perches and toys! Also, thumbs up for this company thinking so much about parrot safety, it warms my heart :)
Elaihr
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Blue-headed Pionus (Pionus menstruus)

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY