Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Fountain?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Fountain?

Postby Strawfrawg » Thu May 30, 2013 3:40 pm

Marvin has found a new passion...running water. I hadn't tried taking him into the shower because I tend to use very hot water, but a couple of days ago I let him sit on my arm while I was washing his veggies and he skittered down and started playing under the tap. He never tired of it, and was a little cranky when I turned the water off.

This makes me want to get him a fountain like the ones used in reptile cages, for some supervised play. This way I could also use distilled water so he wouldn't be drinking the tap water, which isn't terrible but I still don't trust it. Do you think a reptile fountain would be safe enough, toxin-wise, if I could clean it well inside and out? Reptiles are pretty senstive, too, after all. I wouldn't risk it unless I get some good feedback. I'm going to ask my vet about it, too. The lorikeets at my local zoo have a fountain in their habitat....

Also...after playing in the water, his first few droppings were very...watery. The color was fine and the strands/urates still had shape, so I figured it was just because he was drinking as he played, which I saw him do several times. Should this be a concern? Am I right that it's just because of the extra water intake? The droppings firmed back up in a couple of hours.
Marvin Beakman - DNA sexed male Senegal
Strawfrawg
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Fountain?

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 30, 2013 4:11 pm

Don't worry about the droppings. An, yes, a fountain would be great! I am planning on putting one in the birdroom but the kind I want is expensive and requires plumbing inside the wall (I want the ones that come out of the wall into a basin).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby KimberlyAnn » Fri May 31, 2013 12:46 am

What a great idea! Emmi loves running water. The bathroom sink is only so much fun...a waterfall with a pool and rocks would be awesome!
My family: "Emmi" Green Cheek Conure (12/15/2012), One husband, two step kids, and one baby boy born in January 2015!
KimberlyAnn
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby Eric&Rebecca » Fri May 31, 2013 8:11 am

Droppings like that after baths are completely normal- its called polyuria. Although this can happen for medical reasons its fairly common after a bath and should return to normal within a few hours if not less :-D
Eric&Rebecca
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Cockatiel
Spectacled Parrotlet

Postby Strawfrawg » Fri May 31, 2013 9:04 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I've seen his droppings go runny for a bit after baths before, but he plays for so long under the tap that I just wanted to be sure the increased water in his droppings is okay. It seems like a lot to me. But as I said, it does firm back up. I'm glad he's being well-hyrdated!

I've started shopping for fountains this evening. So far I have yet to find anything I love...the basins tend to be tiny. No way am I going to do anything that requires new plumbing...that's ambitious, parajita! I'd love to at some point, though. I have my dream indoor habitat all planned out but it isn't something I can do as a renter. I hope to be buying in a year or two...then it's game on.

I'm finding two basic materials, the standard resin used for reptile accessories and "foamed urethane". I have no idea if the latter is safe. Any clue? It sounds a little iffy.
Marvin Beakman - DNA sexed male Senegal
Strawfrawg
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby LadySaphine » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:26 am

Strawfrawg wrote: No way am I going to do anything that requires new plumbing...that's ambitious, parajita! I'd love to at some point, though. I have my dream indoor habitat all planned out but it isn't something I can do as a renter. I hope to be buying in a year or two...then it's game on.

Trust me, sometimes I plan out whole aviaries (being 14, I can't do so... not yet, anyways.) A fountain sounds like an awesome idea! Wild birds, if you have a fountain outside, are attracted to running water like moths to a flame! We have this 89 gallon above-ground pond we bought from Lowe's, with running water. It's on our patio, near the house. Normally the birds would stay away from the patio out of fear of the humans, but I've seen them multiple times sneak over to the fountain. ;)

I'm sure Marvin would love it. Peanut is only interested in water when she's dirty. After that, she doesn't care.
Peanut - :gcc: Yellow-sided Green Cheeked Conure. Rest in peace, my Peanut.
PJ- :bluebudgie: Cobalt Budgie
Steve- Image Turquoise Lineolated Parakeet
LadySaphine
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie, Turquoise Lineolated Parakeet, two button quail hens

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY