Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Does your bird like to hide or crawl into things?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: Does your bird like to hide or crawl into things?

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:58 am

Oh, my dear, please reconsider because that is terrible, terrible idea and a tragedy waiting to happen...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby myster_pda » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:31 am

Indeed, avoid sleeping with the parrot out. There are countless stories of birds that were killed this way.
myster_pda
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parrotlet

Postby liz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:28 am

I don't think that letting your birds sleep with you is a good idea. I let Myrtle sleep with me twice and stayed in a recliner one night with Rainbow when they seemed scared of something. On those nights they just would not stay in the usual sleeping places.
How
My Amazons do not get put in cages. Rainbow has a tiny cage he has claimed to sleep in. Myrtle sleeps on top of my aunts bedroom door. In case of a disaster I can grab Rainbow in a hurry. Myrtle would not be as fast but she has a tendancy to freeze and call me when she is scared.
Though my Tiels are free flight in their own room I have a large flight cage in there. They seem to prefer sleeping in it or on it. I believe I could get them all out of the house easily.

How on earth would you grab 3 at one time.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby alienlady » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:31 am

I have fallen in love with Bowie! What a sweetheart :D
As for crawling into things , Liseth likes it when I have a blanket across me or wearing a dressing gown. She tunnels through the blanket playing peep po. She likes to run up the sleeves or around and down inside my dressing gown. Not with any other clothing though. She doesn't like tunnels if you make them :lol:
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby liz » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:10 am

Rainbow is a real kid. I buy him a toy and he wants the box. Since Charles is missing a cabinet door in the bathroom, Rainbow moved in. I gave him a box to play in and chew up.

When Myrtle slept with me she slept near my neck and head on my pillow with her beak tucked behind my ear.
When Rainbow would not go to bed I slept in a recliner. He slept on my lap.

I don't know what was wrong with them on those nights. If they are smart enough to premeditate what they want to pull on us, they are smart enough to come to me when something is wrong.
I don't know if something scared them or if they did not feel good and wanted their human to protect them when they did not feel good. (they can get headaches and belly aches too.

I had a little cat that would sleep in the throw on the couch. He did not fair well. He was so little that we did not see him. He was only a small lump and got dumped many times when someone wanted the throw.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:28 pm

I have a cat (Tiza) that loves to burrow under the sheets in the dogs beds - so far, none of them has laid on top of her but I worry about it all the time!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:42 pm

My cat Rippley likes to get under the quilt on the bottom of our bed.
She makes a good hot water bottle.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Postby liz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:31 am

All our furrys love to sleep in bed and against me. There is always one that lays up against my back. I try to ignore pain to keep going. After all the prednisone I took for so long my back is twisted. Sometimes I do not recognize the pain in my back until a little furry critter gets up against the right spot. I can feel the pain easing up even when I had ignored it all day.

There are pet beds that are designed like an envelope so the pet can get in and under cover in the right place.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:28 am

Yes, I bought one of them for the min pin I found in the street but she doesn't use it, she gets between my sheets and sleeps cuddled against my back (I have the other 'found' dog stretched out leaning against my front on the other side and the one we adopted from Animal Control on the pillow, against the top of my head).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY