Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Smelly sisal rope perch...dangerous?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Smelly sisal rope perch...dangerous?

Postby Strawfrawg » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:33 pm

I just got a new sisal rope perch and man, does it smell awful....an almost chemical-like jute-ish smell. I aired it out for a couple of days but it still has a fairly significant odor. I'm concerned about keeping it in the cage overnight, since Marvin is covered, but it would be a royal pain to keep taking it out every night. For now, I've just removed it. Should I just air it out some more and then only attach it to one of his playstands? Should I just send that sucker back? My other sisal ropes from this manufacturer never smelled wonderful at first, but have not been nearly as foul as this bigger one.
Marvin Beakman - DNA sexed male Senegal
Strawfrawg
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Smelly sisal rope perch...dangerous?

Postby mrbowlerhat » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:25 pm

I'm sorry I can't answer your question but DO I get worried when I read stuff like this.
You see, I've got anosmia - I was born without the sense of smell. Now, I don't live alone right now and I can ask anyone if anything smells, but I am literally SO WORRIED about eventually moving, because oh man, how can I possibly tell if like the pellets or something smells horrible and should not be eaten?
And now this - how am I supposed to know if any of my parrot toys smell chemicalish or anything? Ugh.
I should probably just get a sniffer dog or something and teach it to bark anythime anything smells a lot. :lol: That would be useful! I wouldn't have to obsessively wash all of my clothes all the time then either! :mrgreen:
..Or I just ask the neighbours every single time I'm not sure about the smell of something. :lol:

Haha no but eh sorry, I'm just worried about the future or something uhhh sorry for hijacking your topic. :)
mrbowlerhat
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegals, Indian Ringnecks, Cockatiels
Flight: Yes

Re: Smelly sisal rope perch...dangerous?

Postby Dave & Karen » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:43 am

I wouldn't let the birds play with it, some of the ropes are treated with petroleum based oils to preserve them, I bought some cool looking rope netting I was going to make a play area with but when I got it out of the packaging it had this same strong smell so I told my wife not to let the birds play with it then I ended up throwing it out... definitely not worth the risk.
Dave & Karen
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet
Lovebird
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
Indian Ringneck
2 Quakers
DYH Amazon
Cockatiel
2 Budgeis