Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

some help w/ dyes & woods??

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

some help w/ dyes & woods??

Postby feathermum » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:17 am

hi, can anyone who dyes their own wood post how to do it? I realy wanna make some of my fids fav. toys, but they LOVE color!! & there's always so much that could go wrong! Also I want to use the wood I already have, so I would love to hear from ppl who have experience with this. for woods I have ; Lilac,Magnoila, suger Maple, Beech, & Birch. the one i'm not 100% on is the Maple, I have seen it on both lists (toxic & non-toxic) so I may not use it just in case. As for coloring, I'v herd using childrens paint (b/c it's non-toxic),food coloring, & vegie Dyes. which is best? is there something else that's much better? please HELP!! my birds go through these wood toys very fast, & since I have the means of making them, I would rather. the dyes are my real issue!

( a lil' side note, does anyone buy Marbella parts for their birds? I know it's sait to be the strongest plastic, even toos & caws can't brake, but is it really 100% safe?)

TY for anyone who can help!!!!
~ THE MORE PEOPLE I MEET,THE MORE I LOVE MY PARROTS~
feathermum
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 m nanday conure, 2 jenday conures and S.I. Eclectus F
Flight: No

Re: some help w/ dyes & woods??

Postby Strawfrawg » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:33 pm

I use unsweetened jello gelatin mix for softer colors and confectioner's coloring paste mixed with water for brights and bolds. I have read mixed reviews on regular food coloring sold at the grocer's, though I can't imagine it's much different than the confectioner's coloring paste. I hear it stains beaks more than the paste. I haven't used it.

Children's watercolor paints by Crayola are supposedly safe, according to my breeder, but I don't like the idea that they aren't specifically made for consumption by living things.

Hope this helps!
Marvin Beakman - DNA sexed male Senegal
Strawfrawg
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby TheCheakyBeak » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:13 am

Unsweetened Kool-aid mix works, too... :irn:
TheCheakyBeak
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck
Flight: No

Postby marie83 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:44 pm

I would go with vegetable dyes as the safest option however the colour doesn't come out very strongly. Food colours are also said to be safe but they tend to have lots of artificial crap in them. That said if I had birds that went through toys that quickly I don't think I would waste my time dying them all the time, just occasionally make a load in bulk. Dyed toys may look better to us but I don't think the birds care that much although I guess it adds a little more enrichment.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY