Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Some toy questions...

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Some toy questions...

Postby LadySaphine » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:40 am

Since summer is here and school is out, I've found myself with a lot of time on my hands. ANd lately I feel like pampering Peanut with toys. I bought one at Petsmart last night, a little birdie basketball toy. Peanut is wary of it because it's red, so she's not playing with it. (I bought it because I thought it would be a good start for learning fetch, since the little ball is on a chain and there is a small little hoop for her to put it in.)

So, I've been wanting to make more toys for her, specifically foraging toys. She only has one, which is one of those sponge toys (it came with her cage) that I took a knife to and hid banana chips in.

The woods I have at hand (in my backyard- no pestisides because I have bird feeders and I don't want my wild birds to be harmed.) are cottonwood (is looks like an aspen, we're a bit unsure what it is but my dad thinks it's cottonwood.), pine, willow, and magnolia. I'm not sure where I can buy safe wood blocks, though.

But what I'd really like to know is where you guys buy your rope/hemp/jute. I've seen mentions of Hobby Lobby but a bit wary of that since a lot say 'WARNING' next to them. Also, I've seen shells in bird toys, and I h=even have on that includes shells. Would seashells from the beach be good? How would I wash them? (With vinegar and water?)

Yeah, I have a lot of questions to ask, but it's all for a good cause! :D

:gcc:
Peanut - :gcc: Yellow-sided Green Cheeked Conure. Rest in peace, my Peanut.
PJ- :bluebudgie: Cobalt Budgie
Steve- Image Turquoise Lineolated Parakeet
LadySaphine
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie, Turquoise Lineolated Parakeet, two button quail hens
Flight: Yes

Re: Some toy questions...

Postby featherluv5 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:29 pm

hello! welcome to this group looks like ur new : ) I'v learned asking questions on here is a great thing!! i'v learned much :thumbsup:

about you'r foraging questions, imo those are THE best toys! & the woods u have, Magnolia,willow are VERY SAFE! so all u need to do is cut of a branch, cut it into whatever shapes u want. And here is where u will get different advice, on how to clean the branches. what I use for just the wood~ once cut & cleared of leaves, soak in hot water w/ a little bleach or Dawn soap. rince EXTREAMLY well. then I either (depending on size,time oif year) bake in oven, set out in sun, or freeze in freezer. then I use tools that are only for Birdtoys, ie..saw,drill,plyers,scisors,pvc cutters..

1 very easy foraging toy my conures love is a b-dayparty hat, upside down, then I take 100% hemp srting ( can find this any craft section) slip it through hat, I take large hard acrylic beads/baubles @ end of hat (point) tie it off.while i'm holding the rest of the string,. I usually keep it about 6 to 8 inches above the opening. in the party hat, I take colored shredded paper & fill it. inside I put a couple treats. dried fruit,nuts,seed..whatever. then on string left I put more beads or toys. tie a knot around a safe hook & let them have fun :danicing: easy cheep safe. just always keep an eye out! on any toy,pearch..even safe things can become dangres!

hope that helps! :D
featherluv5
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday,2 jenday & Dusky conures, 1 F S.I. Ecclectus
Flight: Yes

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY