Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

"Natural Packaging" for food

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Are gourds bird safe?

Postby Dbeguy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:40 am

Perhaps it's my own personal little obsession but I love seeing my friend's Grey rip in and extract a treat from something more natural than a paper cup. I've done this with nuts that I've partially cracked, but I'd like to try other things.

One natural package. I'm particularly interested in trying is a Tennessee Spinning Gourd. They're tiny, only three inches. If you plant them, you get a lot of them. They dry easily leaving a large empty cavity (Perfect for hiding treats!) and they're the same species Curcubita pepo as a pumpkin. But is it bird safe? I really cannot find any information and it's bugging the heck outta me!

There needs to be some way of finding out before I give it to a friend's bird
what does everyone think? :?
Dbeguy
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: none yet
Flight: Yes

"Natural Packaging" for food

Postby Dbeguy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:05 am

I have heard of sticking food in pinecones. I'd be interested in doing this, but the local eastern white pine tree cones are coated in pitch. Does anyone have a good way to clean pinecones?

An idea that struck me. Researching the wild African Grey diet, they apparently LOVE snails. :gray:
It makes me wonder. Has anyone ever used the empty escargot shells that they sell as a foraging toy? I think it has potential!

Please comment. I welcome it. :)
Dbeguy
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: none yet
Flight: Yes

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY