Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Video: Master this skill = hours of foraging fun?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Video: Master this skill = hours of foraging fun?

Postby Dbeguy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:32 pm

Watch this!!

My last visit, my friend's bird worked out how to get a nut at the center of one of these. Has anyone else done this?
Dbeguy
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: none yet
Flight: Yes

Re: Video: Master this skill = hours of foraging fun?

Postby Michael » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:11 pm

I'd be careful that they don't get caught, tangled, or strangled in something like that. Supervised I'm sure it's no problem but I'm not sure I'd feel safe leaving a bird with something like that "for hours."
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Dbeguy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:48 pm

Thank you so much Mr. Wizard!!! :o !!! Never thought about that! :oops:
That's one of the reasons why I'm here and want feedback. So that I know these things before I own a :gray:.

When the entire thing's been put together maybe it can be made safe by strategic cuts?
Dbeguy
Cockatiel

Postby Dbeguy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:14 pm

Ok fresh start! Completely different idea.

I've done the following with larger holes (large enough to put in sunflower seeds or raisins). As I understand it the biggest problem with the above is sanitizing it so that there's no salmonella (same thing with the egg carton thread here). Could this be a good way of supplementing calcium?
Dbeguy
Cockatiel

Postby Michael » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:18 pm

Be sure to put the shells in boiling water prior to serving. This looks very time consuming so only do it if you personally take pleasure in such projects. Your 1 hour project will turn into 5 minutes for the parrot at best.

You shouldn't need to supplement calcium if the parrot is on a good diet, however, letting it be available from time to time is good just in case. I like those calcium sanding perches cause the birds can trim their talons, beak, and chew it if necessary. I leave one in year round and will not see it chewed for a long time and then suddenly it's all chewed up. Maybe seasonally the bird just needed the extra calcium.

I give cooked eggs about once a month or two and I crush a little eggshell into it and it is sterilized as the entire thing is cooked.

I'm glad you're being creative. I totally say go for it. Just realize that you are going to spend a lot of effort creating for a very small effort demolishing in return.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY