Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

MEGA toys.

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

MEGA toys.

Postby cml » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:02 pm

Didnt have much inspiration for this week's toy building so we put a few old ones together after refurbishing them, turning them into MEGA-toys.
These are 2-2.5 feet long, and almost a foot in diameter. The parrots love 'em :)!
Wife's arm for size reference ^^!

Running out of building materials now, so have ordered a lot of new stuff today :).
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus
Flight: Yes

Re: MEGA toys.

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:12 pm

Good idea... but one problem can be that the "old toys" are often left on the string cause they don't like them so putting a bunch together may not help. Or maybe it might. My way is to give new toys to the little one first and then let the big one finish off anything that's left!

Careful where you hang that thing so it doesn't dent the cage bars!
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby KimberlyAnn » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:53 am

Is that a rawhide bone? I didn't know you could give those to parrots. Please give me more info. I'm always looking for new toy ideas!
My family: "Emmi" Green Cheek Conure (12/15/2012), One husband, two step kids, and one baby boy born in January 2015!
KimberlyAnn
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby cml » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:45 am

Michael wrote:Good idea... but one problem can be that the "old toys" are often left on the string cause they don't like them so putting a bunch together may not help. Or maybe it might. My way is to give new toys to the little one first and then let the big one finish off anything that's left!

Careful where you hang that thing so it doesn't dent the cage bars!

It might indeed, both parrots are utterly fascinated with the new toys. But they are also refurbished, and new parts added.

I think variation is the key to keep them interested, if you leave one toy design for too long, they get bored, no matter if they used to love it to start with.

KimberlyAnn wrote:Is that a rawhide bone? I didn't know you could give those to parrots. Please give me more info. I'm always looking for new toy ideas!

I am not sure, Ive bought a few toys with these dog chew bones, so I assumed them to be safe. Google is ambiguous, some say it is, some say it isnt, some say some kinds. I'll probably have them removed!
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby GreenWing » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:58 pm

Not just MEGA toys, but EPIC toys! Seriously, this is very awesome, cml ^^
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Wolf » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:31 am

I thought to add my opinion on the rawhide chew bones.

I would be concerned just a little about them if they are the flavored variety, easy to tell because they are not pure white. You could boil them to dilute/ remove the flavoring or to add flavoring of your own choosing. My concern with them is because of the salt content and that is my only concern.

You can use leather for toys also but them you need to be aware of how it was tanned. you only want to use vegetable tanned leather. I don't know on many reliable sources for vegetable tanned leather so I am stuck with getting it from Tandy leather although I don't much care for their prices. I know that there are others , I just haven't found them yet.

Leather and rawhide are the same product, animal skin, the difference is in the processing. Leather is tanned and rawhide is cured, pretty much just a drying process, with no added chemicals.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:30 pm

Never give raw hide to any animal, not even dogs. It's completely and utterly undigestible (that's why wild predators always leave the 'skin' behind and eat only the 'inside' of the animal)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby thelonelysnake » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:41 pm

Pajarita wrote:Never give raw hide to any animal, not even dogs. It's completely and utterly undigestible (that's why wild predators always leave the 'skin' behind and eat only the 'inside' of the animal)

Exactly right. I'd also like to add that once rawhide is ingested it swells up and can easily cause a serious blockage in any animal and is a common factor in the death of dogs. Please please please do not buy this stuff. For any animal. Ever. My stupid mother in law has two mini schnauzers whom she gives rawhide treats. She has to take them to the vet at least once a month because they always get pieces of the rawhide stuck in their throats and choke. If its bad for dogs, who are known for having steel stomachs, imagine how bad it can be for birds who are far more sensitive to everything.
thelonelysnake
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: None yet.
Flight: No

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY