Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Playthings: Good idea/Bad idea?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Playthings: Good idea/Bad idea?

Postby Dbeguy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:46 am

I was looking for information on electronic noisemaking toys (like the kinds that they make for toddlers) when I came across this.

I think that a furby would be ok with supervision. What about during the day? would that a furby set outside the cage (and beak range) but close enough to trigger the motion sensor be a good or a bad idea?

A friend objected to this next clip:

My friend didn't like him teasing the bird. This seems pretty harmless to me. My only reservation is making sure that the laser doesn't shine in the parrot's eye.

Obviously the parrot here shouldn't have access to beer.

Under supervision would something like those small cans of V8 or a can of seltzer water be acceptable? or are the metal edges still a problem?
Dbeguy
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: none yet
Flight: Yes

Re: Playthings: Good idea/Bad idea?

Postby Pajarita » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:22 pm

Personally, I would not use/do any of these things. The ekkies are not really playing with the furbie, they are biting it (bad idea to foment aggression in a parrot). The too is been teased and that is only fun for the human, not for the bird (very unkind owner, if you ask me). And no sharp metals around any of my birds! I don't even use plastic, chains or any of the commercial toys, my birds play with ropes, sticks, pinecones, cardboards, etc.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Re: Playthings: Good idea/Bad idea?

Postby Dbeguy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Pajarita wrote:Personally, I would not use/do any of these things. The ekkies are not really playing with the furbie, they are biting it (bad idea to foment aggression in a parrot).

I thought that a lot of owners found great value in "surrogate enemy toys." I wouldn't allow them to dismantle a piece of electronics like a furby (no way to guarantee all materials parrot-safe). What about the interactive part of a furby placed outside of a cage? I think that has some value.

Pajarita wrote: And no sharp metals around any of my birds!

Agreed, sharp metal is a no-no

Pajarita wrote: The too is been teased and that is only fun for the human, not for the bird (very unkind owner, if you ask me).

I disagree, The :cockatoo: is fascinated! It reminds me of something from my childhood. My father was horrified that my grandparents gave us salt shakers and told us that we could catch birds by putting salt on their tails. Of course we never got close enough to try. I think my grandparents were happy that they could keep my sister and I occupied while they rested their ankles. Am I alone in this thought? Does anyone else react positively to this?
Dbeguy
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: none yet

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY