Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to encourage foraging?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

How to encourage foraging?

Postby Gorgeous Gordon » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:10 pm

I just adopted Gordon, my 8-year-old African Grey, a month ago. He's really a very good bird, but he didn't have much of an opportunity to play growing up. i've been reading posts on the subject, and I have a question about introducing and encouraging foraging. i'm not really sure where to put the foraging stuff. In his cage? Where would it go? Do I hang it? I don't think he'd like me putting it on the bottom as that's where he poops. Would i only put it on the table when i have him out with me? He has a play stand, but he also poops in the tray so i'm not sure where to put it there either.

As far as treats, he only eats the seed balls and the pellets. He's refused everything else i've tried. So, what would i wrap in the toilet paper for him? I put a treat in a small cardboard box but he ignored it. And, in training or rewarding, what should i use if he doesn't eat anything else?

Thank you!
Gorgeous Gordon
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey
Flight: No

Re: How to encourage foraging?

Postby Michael » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:41 pm

Bird is only going to eat so much each day. Where it's going to come from is up to you but remember the bird will consume it's favorite foods that are easiest to acquire.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Dbeguy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:00 pm

I've heard that presenting food in a new way can kick-start the foraging impulse. String up some food and hang it, glue seeds to pinecones (Elmers non-toxic & MAKE SURE its dry), partially cover the feeding bowl with some paper.

I wish you all the luck in the world with your >>> :gray:
Dbeguy
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: none yet

Postby GreenWing » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:15 pm

I'm a wacko, but I've introduced birds to play by playing peek-a-boo and hiding around the room, jumping in surprise (I actually did this to Chance, and she laughed when I did this).

Some Greys are shy, and your Grey has only been with you a month, so he's probably settling in, still. Try to introduce play by having your bird watch YOU play. It sounds ridiculous but Greys are smart, they love to observe and they'll be interested in what you're doing. If possible, take your Grey to an Exotic Bird store and let your bird check out and look at all the toys. Chance and I did this, I would say "Look at that!" And I'm not kidding, she's look at the different packets of treats and the different toys I'd show her.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY