Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

a parrot safe paper-mache recipe?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

a parrot safe paper-mache recipe?

Postby Dbeguy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:24 am

Does anyone use paper-mache in making foraging toys?

All of the recipes that I've seen online include salt. :? The other ingredients (elmers glue, water, newspaper, & flour) certainly seem safe enough. Does anyone have a thought at how to streamline making lots of little containers? I want to wow my friend and his >>> :gray: this Christmas.
Dbeguy
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: none yet
Flight: Yes

Re: a parrot safe paper-mache recipe?

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:34 pm

Sorry, I can't help you with this. I don't really make or buy foraging toys for my birds.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Calthesa » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:11 pm

All you need to make bird safe paper-mache is flour and water. No need for salt or glue or anything. Rather, I would make sure to use bird safe paper or paper-towels. I worry about them ingesting ink from the wet newspaper. Also, be very careful that you wait for each layer to dry completely or mold might grow inside it. Hope that helps. Post some pictures when you're done!
Calthesa
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red Bellied Parrot

Postby marie83 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:42 pm

Calthesa wrote:All you need to make bird safe paper-mache is flour and water. No need for salt or glue or anything. Rather, I would make sure to use bird safe paper or paper-towels. I worry about them ingesting ink from the wet newspaper. Also, be very careful that you wait for each layer to dry completely or mold might grow inside it. Hope that helps. Post some pictures when you're done!

Almost exactly what I was going to say.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby LoganW » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:02 pm

Like what Calthesa said just water and flour, I make them alot for my cockatiel, the only thing I have to say is they take forever to dry, I mean like one to two days of drying.

Logan
LoganW
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, dove, parakeet.

Postby Dbeguy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:05 pm

Thanks guys! :danicing:
I'm going to try to speed up the process with a warm oven. I'll try when the semester's over
Dbeguy
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: none yet

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY