Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

A few of Emmi's toys I make weekly

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

A few of Emmi's toys I make weekly

Postby KimberlyAnn » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:42 am

I make natural toys for Emmi weekly, but these simple toys are her favorite. They don't last long! Lol but the core of the toys are refillable. When I put these things up with some greens, she will ignore us for an hour or so.

Her cholla bridge is very unsteady so it gets a lot of wing action to steady herself. I just stuff it with things like corn husk, paper zig zag thingies, small pinecones, rosemary springs, coconut fiber or pieces, dried flowers and any other safe natural stuff I can find. I use four ply jute string to put it together. I wish she would chew the cholla, but it's too much fun taking stuff out of it instead I guess.

This is not so natural, but one of her favorites! She will pick the finger traps over anything else. She pulls out the inside first, then pulls apart the finger traps. Sometimes I just stuff the finger traps with small apple branches for my own entertainment. Lol She gets so mad when they don't just slide out for her. So funny! But she does end up chewing the bark off in the end and bringing the barkless branches to the top of her cage to drop them.

My family: "Emmi" Green Cheek Conure (12/15/2012), One husband, two step kids, and one baby boy born in January 2015!
KimberlyAnn
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: A few of Emmi's toys I make weekly

Postby Scotty » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:14 am

What the heck are those made out of at the top?

Ahh you going into the toy making business? Can I place an order? LOL...

I have to learn to start making toys, I just spent like $82 the other day at the pet store, OUCH...
BeBe :gcc:
Scotty
Conure

Postby KimberlyAnn » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:06 pm

Cholla wood. It's a cactus and it's completely empty now. Have to fill it up again. Lol
My family: "Emmi" Green Cheek Conure (12/15/2012), One husband, two step kids, and one baby boy born in January 2015!
KimberlyAnn
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:56 pm

Wonderful toys! Have you tried using vine garlands for her? My tiels love to chew them, they start on the end of each little vine and work they way in. Balsa wood and dried yucca are the budgies faves. The big ones all like cardboard boxes, especially the zons, but the toos prefer plain old wood over anything else.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby KimberlyAnn » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:20 pm

Vine garlands? Where do you get those?

I bundle little apple tree twigs in a ball form and she works on those. I have balsa wood...the whole ones with the circle cut out of the side? She likes to chew at that. Grass chew mats for bunnies, coconut slices (no meat), pinecones...tons of pinecones! I wish I had a cheap source for natural things that won't cost just as much to ship!

The grass chew mat was a bad idea, when curved into a U shape and secured at the top of the cage, like a tunnel. She chewed right through the top corners and one side fell and she flipped up-side-down as well. "ACK ACK ACK ACK!" Scared her. Lol
KimberlyAnn
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:26 pm

I get them in Ebay (see here:http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=vine+garland&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1311.R2.TR3.TRC0.A0&_nkw=grape+vine+garland&_sacat=0).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GreenWing » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:30 am

That is so creative and cool KimberlyAnn! Are you on etsy? Where can we buy? ;)

Pajarita... regarding vine garlands, can parrots chew grape vines?
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:49 pm

Mine do. Grapes raised in America don't need to be organic and I take that to mean that the insecticides they use on them are not that bad but I still soak the rolls in the tub with hot water and dish soap for an hour or so and then gently brush them with those big brushes used to scrub floors (you need to do it gently and following the circle because, if you don't, the whole thing comes apart).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby GreenWing » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:29 pm

Pajarita wrote:Mine do. Grapes raised in America don't need to be organic and I take that to mean that the insecticides they use on them are not that bad but I still soak the rolls in the tub with hot water and dish soap for an hour or so and then gently brush them with those big brushes used to scrub floors (you need to do it gently and following the circle because, if you don't, the whole thing comes apart).

Good to know. I have a little vineyard... it would be cool to make wreathes from the grape stems, but I had no idea parrots could chew them. Of course, they're not sprayed... nothing in my garden is :)
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby KimberlyAnn » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:43 pm

Hmmmmmmm I wonder if the craft store grape vine stuff is safe?
KimberlyAnn
Amazon

Next

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY