Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

DIY Parrot Play Stand/perch

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

DIY Parrot Play Stand/perch

Postby MacT » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:21 am

The attachment photo-6.jpg is no longer available
Hey guys,

Heres a DIY parrot play perch that i made for under $80 (minus the toys i had) after wanting to buy one, but couldn't due to the insane $220 price tag in the pet shop. Mine turned out nicer, bigger, and cheaper..heres how i did it.

Check out some pics:

photo-1.jpg
(69.21 KiB) Downloaded 944 times

photo-2.jpg
(53.88 KiB) Downloaded 944 times

photo.jpg
(61.89 KiB) Downloaded 944 times

photo-3.jpg
(84.75 KiB) Downloaded 944 times

photo-5.jpg

Prices:
-Large Macaw Perch: $35
-Wooden Board: $10
-Baseboard: $7
-14 Thin nails : $1
-4 wheels : $12
-nuts and bolts for wheels : $8
-Closed hook screws: $2

-TOTAL= $75 (WITHOUT TOOLS)

Steps:

1) Cut out a piece of wood 1.5ft x 2.5ft x 3/4 inch thick

2) Cut a base board that is 3/8 inch thick x 1 inch wide to two lengths:

i) two x {2.5ft} in length

&

ii) two x {1.5ft + 3/8 inch + 3/8 inch} (because the thickness of the baseboard, but may
vary so adjust accordingly) which is { 18 and 3/4 inches long}

3) Drill a hole the exact size of the screw on the perch on the board where it will fit nicely

4) Using very thin nails about 3/4 inch long, nail the baseboards on. Keep i mind to keep the bottom of the baseboard level with the bottom of the wooden board, this will leave a higher edge so food doesn't fall off the edge.

5) Buy 4 small wheels that rotate so you can push in any direction. Use a pencil to mark the places of the 4 holes of each wheel on the board. drill out holes to the correct size, by using the hole in the wheel as a guide. Buy 'machine nuts and bolts' to the exact diameter of the hole in the wheel for that perfect fit. Make sure the screw length is 1/4 inch longer than the thickness of the board. I used 1 inch bolts.

6) attach the wheels

7) attach the perch by placing the it through the top and placing a washer only on the bottom, the base of the branch is flat enough and doesn't need a washer and screwing it on with the bolt it came with, if it comes with one. if it doesn't get the correct size from your hardware store.

8) drill small holes and screw in little closed hooks to but on hanging toys.

9) I havent done it yet but i will add a feeding and water dish (i have an idea but not sure if it will work really, but will update if i get it done). Also i may add another perch to the opposite side.

PROBLEMS:

The perches are too slippery for Kiwi to climb on, any ideas??

Update on Kiwi: Kiwi almost has all her flight feathers in, she is now 1 year old, She now says pretty bird, potty trained (mostly), does tricks, and looooooves shoulders.

Thanks for reading guys,
I hope you find this project as fun as i did.

Kiwi- :senegal:
MacT
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: DIY Parrot Play Stand/perch

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:23 pm

Wonderful stand! Great, great job and so very nice of you to give us step-by-step instructions! As to the perches been too slippery, it's because there is no bark on the wood, try getting a real branch next time (better for the bird and you will be saving the $35 price!).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: DIY Parrot Play Stand/perch

Postby jamcq » Mon May 12, 2014 10:34 pm

MacT wrote: The perches are too slippery for Kiwi to climb on, any ideas??

maybe try some really coarse sandpaper to make the wood a slightly rougher texture (like bark)
jamcq
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot (Blue)
Flight: No

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY