Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Homemade toy ideas?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Homemade toy ideas?

Postby Aphios » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:55 pm

I would be so grateful if I could have a list of ideas of homemade toys that I can make with things around the house for my conures. Anyone who wants to share their creative ideas here is welcome to. I can try to post I few things that have worked for me as well when I get the chance.

Thank you all so much!!! My conures will be quite excited!!! :gcc: :sun: :hatched: :danicing: :swaying:
Aphios
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Sun and Green Cheek Conures
Flight: Yes

Re: Homemade toy ideas?

Postby marie83 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:46 pm

Theres loads of ideas on here if you have a read through this board. I did have a go at doing a thread for people to get ideas from and add new ideas but it became a thread debating the safety of things (not that i dont want people to provide the safest toys they can of course). The first page or two has some ideas which might help.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8782
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Aphios » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:13 pm

Thanks so much!
Aphios
Lovebird

Postby Aphios » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:55 pm

I have discovered that if you use clothes pins to attach paper or toys in or on their cage it becomes another toy in itself. First, my conures think it is the best idea to take paper, shred it, and then drop it on the floor just for the fun of watching me pick it up. :) Second, once done with the paper, they will begin to chew on the clothes pin. I first worried about the safety of this but all they would do is try to separate the two wood pieces from the metal clip so they could again drop it from their highest perch to the floor. They would then play with the metal clip by sliding it back and forth on the bar of their cage that it was attached to. This would entertain them for a while!

:sun: :gcc: ;)
Aphios
Lovebird

Postby GreenWing » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:39 pm

I recycle a LOT of toy parts. Chance destroys toys quickly, so I usually get piece of the leather strips that are left over, and re-tie toy parts into the leather strips. This actually helps A LOT and saves some money, too.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Aphios » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:34 pm

Great idea!
Aphios
Lovebird

Postby Aphios » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:24 pm

I have recently been experimenting with bird toys and came up with a great idea. If you get 2 shoeboxes and tape them together, (really any box will do but I prefer shoeboxes), then wrap it with old wrapping paper, and decorate it, ( will get back to different deco ideas), you have a long lasting playfort that your birds will love. But let me address some of the issues that may come up. First, litter in the base of the box. This is why I like to use shoeboxes, it has nearly everything you need. Take the cardboard that get put in between the shoes in the box and slide it into the bottom, it should be a perfect fit. Than get a sheet of construction paper, I like to color mine for added deco, and cut to fit on top of the cardboard. The paper can be replaced every few days and the card board every few weeks. If getting in the box is an issue then put some of your birds favorite treat in. It should help.

Now for deco, I like to lightly color the tissue paper from the shoe box, ball it and stick to the side of the box. They love to play with these and I make extra for when the balls fall off. I then line the seams in the box with old wrapping paper, usually striped. Next, I attach old yarn, but short lengths and in a way that if the birds get tangled in it it will come right of the wall of the box so as not to hurt them. I attach one inch by one inch envelopes home made from construction paper and fill it with treats for them to shred, one envelope every few days. I attach the envelopes with clothes pins to the string.

Hope this helps. My birds love their new fort! :gcc: :sun:
Aphios
Lovebird

Postby carissachurchill » Mon May 05, 2014 1:54 am

With homemade toys children are easily entertained,also these toys are created from every day materials that can easily keep their attention.Like you can make cardboard box car,hand made bubble blower,scoop ball game out of a one-quart plastic milk jug,Model planes can be made out of the Styrofoam trays that meat is packaged on and many more.
carissachurchill
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Wolf » Mon May 05, 2014 4:15 am

I would not use the Styrofoam, use cardboard instead.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

toy ideas

Postby bird_turd » Fri May 09, 2014 5:30 pm

buy some plain twine and make a giant braided toy. my :sun: loves them!Also u could try making something with wood,paper,and maybe even a paper towel(birds like to rip thoose up) attach it to ur cage with a paper clip and ur bird will LUV it
bird_turd
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Next

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY