Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Non-toxic silicone loops...safe for birds?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Non-toxic silicone loops...safe for birds?

Postby Desire Mercy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:34 am

Hello,

I found some non-toxic silicone loops at Jo Ann Fabrics today. I would like to use them in some homemade toys, but I can't find ANYWHERE that addresses whether silicone is safe for birds.

They seem like they could add some fun colors and textures to my birds environment if used properly, but if silicone is inherently bad, obviously, I don't want to do that.
Desire Mercy
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrots
Flight: Yes

Re: Non-toxic silicone loops...safe for birds?

Postby Wolf » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:56 am

I don't usually provide my birds many commercial toys, I do have a few that are made from coconut, palm fronds, oyster shell, cholla cactus and such naturel products. I normally make their toys from scraps of wood, branches, paper and bits of vegetable tanned leather or rawhide.

I also have a variety of plastic bird toys that came with Mimi, our amazon. Most of them are destined for the trash bin, However, I have allowed them to play with some of them as they like the colors. I watch and if they are able to bite off pieces of them I permanently remove them from their toy box. While they may be able to pass the pieces that they might swallow, I fear the effects of sharp pieces on them.

Now, after this background, on to your question. To the best of my limited knowledge their may be serious health risks involving silicone, especially if it is ingested. I can't give you any specific references as most of what I have are bits of info recalled from 50 yrs. of news reports on radio and tv. So I would either stay away from this product or at least do extensive research on it before using it. Just my opinion.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY