Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Toys to keep an African Grey entertained

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: Toys to keep an African Grey entertained

Postby Danish » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:14 pm

Our CAG :gray: Loves toys and anything new is even better. His favourite is paper, he had blocks of wood wrapped in paper he took each piece off and then dipped it in his water dish and flung it against the wall ( new type of wallpaper ! ). He enjoys shells, and seems to prefer the littler wooden balls. We just bought a toy made of paper ropes, which he seems to like, it unravels as he chews and then he can rip pieces off. His all time favourite is completely gone now but was a loose weave and he would take one tiny bit off at a time; I need to go find another one for him. He also likes toilet/paper towel rolls (as all paper must be destroyed :lol: )
Danish
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: CAG
Pionus
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:11 am

LOL - Yes, paper is one of the 'enemies' - as is cardboard.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GreenWing » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:15 pm

Chance plays with toys, she utterly shreds toys apart and loves to chew wood. She likes the smaller toys, although they don't last long!

I got her a play orb that has a lot of toys on it with leather strips and large beads and she loves to play with them, hanging upside down while grasping the leather strip.

Sticking kale leaf stalks in between cage bars is a favorite of Chance's. Greys in general love to chew and shred. Foods like Kale is a great way for a Grey to forage and play and also receive nutrition.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby DanaandPod » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:34 pm

I don't know what African Greys are like...so some may discourage this idea. But, my Jardine's parrot never chews on this stuff...I change out a baby laptop every month from the bottom of his cage. He likes to walk on the buttons and they light up and play music. I have a couple of other things as well that are flat on the bottom of the cage that he walks on and sets off. But, again...he doesn't bother to chew them so... I also make sure he has a small chewable toy strung and hung infront of every perch. And, don't forget foraging toys.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Previous

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY