Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Toys to keep an African Grey entertained

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Toys to keep an African Grey entertained

Postby thelonelysnake » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:21 am

Hi, I am getting a baby African Grey parrot soon and I have been doing lots of research. As of right now I am just trying to contact as many experienced bird owners as possible to make sure the information I have collected is correct and to prepare myself as much as possible.

I work from six in the morning to noon and I was wondering what would be the best toys to get for my Grey in order to keep him or her entertained while I am at work. :gray:

Recomendations of kinds of toys or even just good brands are helpful. Thank you!
thelonelysnake
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: None yet.
Flight: No

Re: Toys to keep an African Grey entertained

Postby Pajarita » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:53 pm

I'll be honest with you, I've cared for 6 grays and none of them played with any toys...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby thelonelysnake » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:35 pm

Pajarita wrote:I'll be honest with you, I've cared for 6 grays and none of them played with any toys...

In that case, what can I use to keep him entertained for a few hours? I dont want him to get bored or stressed out.
thelonelysnake
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: None yet.
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:45 am

thelonelysnake wrote:
Pajarita wrote:I'll be honest with you, I've cared for 6 grays and none of them played with any toys...

In that case, what can I use to keep him entertained for a few hours? I dont want him to get bored or stressed out.

My CAG loves music and watching TV. She also likes bells on chains, she does not use them a lot but they are her go to toys. She also likes to shred newspaper and throw it out on floor as well as shredable toys.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:32 pm

I don't use chains in the birdroom (heard too many horror stories of claws/toes/beaks getting caught in the links) and you have to be careful with bells because they need to be stainless steel (even the clapper which needs to be too big for the bird to swallow) but yes, they do like to shred paper (all parrots do) and mine love cardboard boxes on the floor (they go in and scratch the floor and chew the sides) during breeding season.

But, when it comes to grays, the only thing that makes them happy, in my personal opinion and experience, is been with their human... they don't even bond with other grays -at least, mine didn't and two of them were a brother and sister that had been raised together.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:44 pm

I drill our tubes of wood big enough for the chain to be threaded through and replace as needed.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:44 pm

Aaaaah, great idea! It protects the birds from the danger of getting anything caught in the links and provides them with more chewing material. Genius!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Raque » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:15 pm

thelonelysnake wrote:I was wondering what would be the best toys to get for my Grey in order to keep him or her entertained while I am at work. :gray:

What my CAG :gray: likes or doesn't like seems to have no rhyme or reason. Some toys she just won't touch for months ....and then all of a sudden spends all her time playing with it.

Sometimes she likes soft woods (like balsa), sometimes harder woods, sometimes cardboard, or paper, or plastic, or small things, or big things, or round things, or pointy things, or things that make noise, or my kitchen cabinets, or ...well pretty much anything.

What I have figured out is that Missy wants a variety of sizes, shapes, and textures. Many she won't touch for a while and then decide they are the BEST THING EVAR!!!!

So my best answer is to try a variety, and find out what she plays with (but I don't recommend kitchen cabinets, even if your gray loves them).

One tip though, Missy is afraid of almost all new toys. What I normally do is bring them out, play with them in front of her for a minute and just set it down far away from her but where she can see it. Then do that again the next day. On the 3rd day I bring it close to her, if she is willing to nibble at it then it is fine and if she simply moves quickly away from it I leave it across the room from her for a few days and try again.
Raque
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey

Postby liz » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:57 pm

Wolf wrote:I drill our tubes of wood big enough for the chain to be threaded through and replace as needed.

I string them when I have time. Most of the time I give Myrtle twigs. She also like plastic bottle caps. Rambo is easy. Give him a new cardboard box and he squeals with delight then turns it into cardb
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby JaydeParrot » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Get some bird safe tree branches (small enough for the grey to hold in it's claw), snap them into smaller twigs and leave them in the bird's food dishes, my birds don't really play but really enjoy chewing. Your grey may even enjoy a swinging perch, I've seen refillable foraging toys for sale but you need to check them yourself to figure out if they're safe enough.
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.

Next

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY